Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here. I appreciate any help I can get! Was carrying my kayak in a Yakima Hullraiser atop the factory aero bars earlier today when I hit a bump/pothole entering a parking lot (pretty big bump at that). The bars, being flexible, bounced and ended up bending (both front and rear). Luckily, no damage to the roof as they stopped about 1/2" shy of it. I limped my way on the backroads to a sporting goods stoer and picked up the Yakima railgrab system. I tried to install it in the parking lot, but could not for the life of me get a proper fit with either of the included grasping pieces. I returned the unit and limped the rest of the way home. Upon searching for info, it seems that some here have got the railgrab system to work on the 2010 Forester. Is there a trick to it? Or would you recommend a better system?

Thanks.
Phil

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
64 lbs according to the manufacturer, but it is rigged for fishing so I'd guess the actual number is closer to 70-75, still far below the weight limit for the rack and the Hullraiser. I'm going to take a trip to REI tomorrow and see if I can get some feedback regarding the rail grabber. The strange thing is that it was mounted very close to the end of the rack on the passenger side of the car. I would have expected that to be stronger than if the load was placed dead center. Hopefully, the Yakima system will work and my problem was only due to the rushed/stressed nature in which I was trying to do the install.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I grew up in Westfield and live right next door in Scotch Plains. Small world!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I did see that post where it looks like it set up fine. But there were other posts claiming that the fit was not quite right (something I experienced myself when trying to install). It appears that you need to use the large claw, but that it will not fit perfectly on the rail.

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
Yeah I did see that post where it looks like it set up fine. But there were other posts claiming that the fit was not quite right (something I experienced myself when trying to install). It appears that you need to use the large claw, but that it will not fit perfectly on the rail.
Yeah, I have the railgrab setup on my 2010 and while it's not a perfect fit, it does work -- and with decent loads, too. The first time I tried it I couldn't believe it was correct and contacted Yakima support; they were non-committal, but I ended up retrying it, and with the longer claws, it may look bad, but it's carried a Loadwarrior loaded with a spare wheel and tire, two bicycles, and a bunch of other stuff across really bad roads on top of my Forester...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yours was the post that I was referring to. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
longer claws

Railgrabs is where it's at, but you gotta use the longer claw option, stretching them down. Use the other, second little lip to snag the siderail with the railgrab. Fozzie's siderails are just a bit too large for the regular claw setting. Then, just allen wrench those puppies down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
Sorry, but I have been using the Malone Kayak holder (put yak on edge).
The Malone Kayak holder is attached to my Aero OEM crossbars. My Kayak is a stitch and glue Kayak I made, weighs 36 lbs. I have NOT had any problems with bending or failure of the cross bars..

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
Sorry, but I have been using the Malone Kayak holder (put yak on edge).
The Malone Kayak holder is attached to my Aero OEM crossbars. My Kayak is a stitch and glue Kayak I made, weighs 36 lbs. I have NOT had any problems with bending or failure of the cross bars..
I have found my aero bars are way more "flimsy" than my Malone's, and I can see the issue that the OP has had occurring under the right set of unfortunate conditions. I too have not had any issues with the aero bars excpet they are too short to carry our canoe and kayak at the same time while the 50" Malone cross bar set, along with a SportRack kayak J stacker, get the job done just fine. Ah, the joys of Canadian Tire stuff :banana: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback. As I wrote, my yak weighs quite a bit more than the 36 lbs noted by porttac (probably double when rigged). If I had 15 posts, I'd load a picture of the damage. I contacted Yakima and got a confirmation that the railgrab is recommended. Since I already own other components made by them, I'll be picking up a railgrab today.

Thanks again.
Phil

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
36Lbs each Kayak. I have two of the Malone AutoLoader J-style kayak carriers.

Have had luck so far with the stock AeroCross bars...but, after what I have read here..I will keep extra gear in the vehicle and not add weight up top.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would guess that you'll be fine with the weight distributed on 2 different cradles. Doesn't hurt to carry a couple of foam blocks though just in case. I know I'll be doing that in the future!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts