Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Aeo's If you build it...Forester Upgrades

('14-'18) 
60K views 89 replies 25 participants last post by  aeoporta 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am coming from a 2013 Impreza Sport Premium Hatchback 5 Speed, I've been planning the forester
replacement for a while so I had enough time to see what I wanted and figure out how to make
it happen. My focus was more on choosing quality components and doing quality work while
making smart decisions aka sweet for cheap. Picked her up on August 17, 2015.
Almost done only thing left is audio which is currently being done.

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium 6 Speed

Stock Parts Ordered With Car
Rear Bumper Cover
Sport Grille
Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and Side Approach Lights
Rear Seat Back Protector
Fog Lights
Rear Cargo Tray
Rear Cargo Cover
Rear Hitch
Side Sill Plates
License Plate Bracket DCOLICBRKFOR14 FO-14-FP
Aero Cross Bar Set

Modifications
WRX STI Steering Wheel
WRX STI Leather Shift Knob
OEM Rear Spoiler
OEM Engine Block heater
SSD Chambered Exhaust (REPLACED AFTER 2 YEARS)
Nameless Performance Axleback Exhaust with 5" muffler
Husky Weatherbeaters Floor Liners 99881
Rally Armour Mud flaps, MF28-UR-BLK/GRY
Battery: Bosch AGM Battery Part # 35-650BAGM 650 cca @ 0F 780 cca @ 32F
PIAA Automotive Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz)
Old Horn: Hella Supertones Horn Kit, Blue, with Subimods Hella Horn Bracket
Heatshield Sun Shade 1422W (windshield), 1422T (moonroof)
Front Wipers: Bosch Icon 26A & 17B
Rear Wiper: TRICO Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade, 14B
Oil: Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium 0W-20
Engine Air Filter: ACDelco A3109C
Cabin Air Filter: Wix 24030
Transmission Fluid and Rear Diff fluid: Motul Gear 300 75W-90
Crawford Air Oil Separator (Baja Edition)

Tint
LLumar Air Blue 90% front
OLD: LLumar ATC Window Tint 35% front
Global Window Films NR Quick Dry Plus 20% rear, 5% moonroof

Light
OEM HID Lights
SSD Light Bar
PIAA 5772 570 LED Driving Lamp Kit
Clear Laminx on PIAA lights
Headlight Armour GT Yellow Fog Light Film Covers
Interior Lighting LED: Diode Dynamics License/Trunk 194 HP5, Map/Dome SMF6, Door 194 HP3, (white)
Backup Lights: Diode Dynamics Backup LED 921 XP50, Cool White

Suspension
WRX STI 20mm Rear Sway Bar
SSD Front Strut Tower
Forester Pink STI Front Coil Spring ST20330SF0 and Rear Coil Spring ST20380SF0, ~15mm down

Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0
Front: SP Performance T47-407-BP
Rear: SP Performance T47-7033-BP
OLD Front: EBC USR 7411
OLD Rear: SP Performance T47-12047033
Motul 5.1 Brake Fluid

Upholstery
Katzkin Custom Interior with Perforated Leather and Degreez Seat Heating and Cooling for Driver and Passenger
Color: Dove Gray on Body, Charcoal on Face of Seat, Charcoal Stitching
Interior Inserts Matched to New Colors

Audio
Sound Insulation for all Doors, Rear Hatch and Rear Hatch Area
Front Speaker System: Hertz HSK 165XL
Rear Speakers: Audison Prima APX 6.5
Amp: Alpine PDX-F6
Subwoofer: JL 10TW3-D4
Subwoofer Amp: JL XD600/1v2
Headunit: Pioneer AVH-X490BS
Old Headunit: Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS

Summer
Wheels: Enkei EKM3, color: Gunmetal
Size: 17x7, Offset: +45mm, Backspacing: 5.74", Bolt Pattern: 5-100, Weight: 20.4lbs.
Tire: General AltiMAX RT43 V Speed Rated, 225/60R17, 99H, Weight: 25 lbs
OLD Tire: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, 225/60R17, 99H, Weight: 26 lbs (lasted only 18k)
TPMS: 315 MHz Tire Pressure Sensor

Winter
Wheels: Method Rally Series MR501, color: Bronze
Size: 17x8, Offset +42mm, Backspacing: 6.141, Bolt Pattern: 5-100, Weight 24lbs
Tire: General Altimax Arctic 12, 225/60/R17, 103TXL, Weight 30.1lbs
OLD Tire: General Altimax Arctic, 255/65R17, 99Q, Weight: 27 lbs
TPMS: 315 MHz Tire Pressure Sensor

See less See more
#79 ·
Welp shes at 43k now

Changes from original build:
Nameless Performance Axleback Exhaust with 5" muffler because the SSD Chambered exhaust rusted to **** after two years
New Summer tire: General AltiMAX RT43 because the pirelli cinturato p7 only lasted 18k, I swear I was gentle on them, sometimes :)
Rear Wiper: TRICO Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade, 14B because my usual valeo didn't fit.

So far the A/C resistor issue has subsided, haven't had a reoccurance since I started connecting via bluetooth so I suspect
the usb port on the pioneer may have contributed to the issue but only time will tell. knock on wood.

Car has been rock solid, no oil consumption or etc, I change the oil every 5k, no rattles just waiting for it to stay warm
so I can detail her.

#81 · (Edited)
55k and up on the clock. Replaced spark plugs and my usual fluid replacements that I do yearly aka transmission, diff,
filters, blah blah blah.

Changes from original build:
Headunit: AVH-X490BS was never happy with the unit I had so replaced it with a new one that does dual smartphone connections
considering how cheap they are these days I can't complain. Now as for why the 2016 forester is the only one
not supported my metra axxess steering wheel control module well thats just stupid.

Tints
Due to NY state changing tint laws I had to remove tints to pass inspection then I had the car retinted with
LLumar ATC Window Tint 35%. I don't like these tints because I feel like they are too dark, come next year
I will probably opt to do LLumar Air 90 on the fronts so I don't have to keep removing and then retinting car.

#87 ·
about time to update this thing so here goes

change front tints to llumar air 90, added oil separator, new brake rotors, and all the usual stuff

70k Change PCV valve 11810AA131. Replace Hella horns with PIAA horns, hella horns are not holding up well in either car so switched over to piaa to avoid
the lovely oxidation

78k install oil catch can

88k replace brake rotors and pads, rear were done, front still had some left but replaced them all, so I got 88k out of original brake setup

89k replace clutch, throw out bearing was gone, so might as well do clutch, remachine flywheel

92k replace ac compressor and engine vbelt, wanted to get that out of the way before winter arrived

So far thats about it, shes keeping up well, no issues except for the norm and car has been quite reliable. All mods are still holding up well
right now shes got 96k on the clock and going strong.

#88 ·
Well she's at 110k and just got ready for winter with fresh transmission and diff fluid.
I was able to fix some of the pictures but the forum limits how many edits I can do I believe the limit is 10 posts every 7 days so I will
need to hit the other posts at a different time.

Nothing really to report car is holding up well I will snap some pics of the interior to show how the seats are holding up, so far the only
marks on them are from me being too hard when cleaning them apart from that seat cooling and heating still working along with
any parts which were modified from day one. I am still planning to drive this car until the wheels fall off so when I do get another vehicle
the fozzy will be sticking around. Pics are from last winter

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.