Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
So TPMS light was on after switching over winter wheels, I have an ateq device, lastest update
adds 2015 forester to the options menu, I generally just use 2014, I knew the codes were written
correctly so swung by one of my mechanic shops with a tpms sensor reader, well after we read
all the sensors and confirmed id I pretty much settled on either the ids don't work
or ateq device had checked out. 1.5 miles later the light went off on the dash then I remembered
what had happened about 6 years ago. If the tpms sensor id has not been read by a device
it does not power itself up, the tirerack code I was given was off the physical unit so
after 6 years of properly reading tpms ids, tirerack didn't do one correct. I think
thats perfectly acceptable in my book either way car now acknowledges the new ids and no tpms light.

Method Wheels
For any one with method rally wheels, method now makes center caps. Just call them and ask if they
have center caps for your rim. This is a recent development as they just started making them.
They are shipping me new center caps for my wheels for free. Thanks Method 0:)

So far being back to oem-ish ride height for winter has been uneventful, I took her
out on some twistys and the generals performed as I knew they would, now just have to
figure out what psi I want to run them in winter at leaning towards 37 or 38psi.

As for the engine block heater: I am in love, so much nicer than having to start car up and sit
there and wait and wait and burn fuel.
I use this cord : [ame]http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-99100-100-Foot-Extension/dp/B001KY03FC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447954421&sr=8-2&keywords=winter+extension+cord[/ame]
Paired with a digital timer from homedepot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-7-Day-Digital-Outdoor-Heavy-Duty-Timer-2-Outlet-Black-50015/203638981 .
Information for how long to keep car plugged in:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwj0_Jbug53JAhXMGj4KHUKFCsY&url=http://www.efficaciteenergetique.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/medias/pdf/transport/AEE-CAA_brochure_chauffe_moteur_EN.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHUQMKBYbP_ddt03yywZoYVjrM3hg

Since I was checking things off my list changed out
cabin air filter to the wix filter which has a thicker paper filter and changed out the engine
air filter to my usual ac delco one which is also a thicker paper than the oem. I have ran this
combination in my prior fb subarus so they get the job done.

Also I got my digital camera out of the trunk so I have nice 2005 ish hd pics will upload
those when I finish snapping shots. for now some bad cellphones of winter mode

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Trunk Light and Remote not working:
So the leds from superbrightled.com arrived and I must say diode dynamics fit and finish bulbs are definitely a lot nicer.
Anyways popped out the dd led and popped in the superbrightled, I had ordered two different models so I tried them both,
well sorry to report but the same electro magnetic interference. Since I can easily work around the issue I put back in
diode dynamics trunk bulb and called it a day. Given the advantage of better lighting I am more than willing to get in
the habbit of either turning the light off or just waiting the X seconds for the light to turn off then arming the car.

Broke out my old digital camera and grabbed some pics old cannon powershot a620, oh yeah circa 2005 :lol:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
A/C Resistor

So for christmas the grinch brought me a dead a/c blower resistor. Washed the car and went to pick up
the g/f since it was 70F, yeah not cool bro. Noticed that 1, 2, 3, was not blowing air but 4 did.
Cabin filter check, blower motor check, damn you power resistor. Called parts had them order a resistor
for manual controls then called service to make an appt. Walked in told them the situation, nodded my head
when they said they would still have to go through and check, that check invovled blowing some fuses :lol:,
ask me how I know, because the first thing I had checked were the fuses on christmas day. Resistor confirmed
and replaced at 8.1K on the clock. While there spoke with my friend who works there he said subaru
just released a tsb for rear b pillar rattle, I did not get any details on it after sharing with him my
microfiber fix for window rattle. Couple of free calendars and brochure book and I was on my way.
It did finally snow here so got in some donuts in before work and not a care in the world, also
added a tow strap to my emergency kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the 20% on the rear was that put on over the factory privacy glass? I am looking to tint my Forester soon and like the way yours look. I was just thinking of tinting 35% front and rear over the factory privacy tint and due 5 on the moonroof.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
looking good and tough man!!
thank you sir, didn't even see you had left a comment, sorry :crying:

With the 20% on the rear was that put on over the factory privacy glass? I am looking to tint my Forester soon and like the way yours look. I was just thinking of tinting 35% front and rear over the factory privacy tint and due 5 on the moonroof.
yes I slapped 20% over the oem privacy glass and its only an issue in extreme low lighting situations aka at night when parralell parking or backing out, my solution brighter led backup lights :lol: I also live in a rural area so there is no ambient lights like you would have in a big city

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeah I was going to install led reverse lights to offset either the 20 or 35 on the privacy glass as well.
sounds like a plan to me, even without tints the backup lights are terrible especially with the auto dimming side mirrors at night

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seat covers or nahh?

Hi! Awesome customization's my man! Are the images below images seat covers or is something you had professionally installed instead of what comes from the factory? They look amazing!

I am currently looking for seat covers for my Foz but I want something that is like skin tight to where you can't tell they are covers :)

Upholstery

Had to add the sti steering wheel as 2.5i wheel wrapped in leather would not look so nice, there were other steering wheels
on japanparts but didn't want to pay the custom and could get the sti one for cheap. Shift knob added after the fact
on a whim. Self contained seat heating and cooling, easily serviceable, total power usage is 100 watts per seat
more info posted on thread here.
I am attempting to keep everything as OEM looking as possible so a normal person cannot tell the difference which
means the OCD is strong with these changes.

NOTE
For the 2.5i premium drivers

You will require 34342FJ000 which is the cover spoke and the screw 34336FA000
For the steering wheel cover for 6 speed foresters the part number is 34317VA000

More info for steering wheel swap here

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So many road trips, now the car sits at 23k. Got an ipod touch and that sorted out the crap pioneer headunit issues, it seems
anything you plug into the usb connector causes the headunit to slow to a crawl, even an iphone or ipod eventually
starts to become flaky. bluetooth was my solution and so far no tempermental behaviour from the system.

A/C resistor again
made in china, what can I say, 90F and A/c resistor failed at 23.4k on the clock thank god for cooled seats, told dealership
it failed they gave me the so soon speech I said check your records failed at 8.1k, can you say warranty. Also did
the telematics recall, I chuckled at this one since well my starlink is no more. With this failure a/c setting
1 - 4 did not work at all, prior failure blower still blew air when circuit was fully open on 4.

Still going strong :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank You Sir, I take that as very high praise considering how sweet your ride is

Auido In progress
Been struggling with audio build so far rear speakers got changed to the Audison Prima APX 6.5

fronts are still hertz, sub is in with custom encolsure and etc, black dynamat on doors and rear hatch area.

So far problems I have ran into

starlink radio is fused to oem trim piece so you have to order trim piece from 2015 forester, also you will need to order the vents,
the ones on 2016 would not come off of starlink radio trim piece.

part number for oem trim piece was 66065FJ000, two parts may come up, you want the non nav one so that you can fit the double din raido.

Sirius antenna yeah couldn't use oem one so ran a new antenna.

radio uses a mix of toyota and lexus parts see:
NASIOC - View Single Post - Aftermarket head unit 2015 Impreza Premium

For the steering wheel, we got that to work with trial and error I will try to get what unit they used.

Custom fabricated front speaker adapters, that I knew going into it.

Backup camera takes 12v so was able to keep that intact and use oem camera connected into new head unit.

As for the head unit avh 5700bhs is complete and utter crap, it skips music on usb, so I can't really enjoy the system, I already rma one unit second one started going nuts the moment I drove off, so looking to find a usb key that can work with it, but long term waiting for a replacement. I would not recommend anyone purchase this unit if you plan to use the usb ports. firmware 8.4 has buggy bluetooth as well.

Currently audio setup sits as follows:

Front Speaker System: Hertz HSK 165XL
Rear Speakers: Audison APX 6.5
Amp: Alpine PDX-F6
Subwoofer: JL 10TW3-D4
Subwoofer Amp: JL XD600/1v2
Headunit: Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS

Auxilary lights

Fuylly wired up, using oem fog light switch, relocated vsa switch to
the version used on upper trim. dissassembled switches and rewired them up so didn't have to cut any wiring in car.

Once audio is sorted she will be all set for now, thanks to the snow and cold was able to test engine block heater and very pleased with the heat when I left in the am.

Will post up pics once I get a chance
Thanks for all the practical advice on the install. Thanks for the heads up with the 66065FJ000 part! I have a 16' premium XT, and the audio sucks! I really want to keep the steering controls. Did you just use a aswc-1 universal interface to do this? Did you manage to keep the USB ports in the center console? As for the headunit, I'm thinking of going with a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. Has good reviews on Amazon.

How have you enjoyed the STI pink springs? I have Method 502s w/ Geolander A/T-S 245/65/17's. I wonder if the drop would cause issues. I only have slight rub on a mud flap bolt. No big deal w/ OEM suspension.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Thanks for all the practical advice on the install. Thanks for the heads up with the 66065FJ000 part! I have a 16' premium XT, and the audio sucks! I really want to keep the steering controls. Did you just use a aswc-1 universal interface to do this? Did you manage to keep the USB ports in the center console? As for the headunit, I'm thinking of going with a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. Has good reviews on Amazon.

How have you enjoyed the STI pink springs? I have Method 502s w/ Geolander A/T-S 245/65/17's. I wonder if the drop would cause issues. I only have slight rub on a mud flap bolt. No big deal w/ OEM suspension.
Hey adustytrunkmonkey, I used the PAC stereo control but it doesn't matter what you use just gotta make sure it gets programmes correctly. The sti pinks are not an issue for me sure in winter time with a taller rubber I hit my mudflaps if I drop into a deep pothole however this is only when the card is full loaded with gear and passengers. Usually two adults in the back plus gear and you will hit the flaps but like I said only if the pothole is deep enough. I did figure out the resistor issue it seems linked to the pioneer headunit. Plugging in USB key or an iPod is what would eventually cause the issue. The solution was to connect iPod via Bluetooth, so far so good no other issues to report on my setup and I just rolled into 42k. I have recently changed the exhaust to the nameless axelback and and also altimax rt43 for summers. I will update this thread when I get some time. Hope this helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey adustytrunkmonkey, I used the PAC stereo control but it doesn't matter what you use just gotta make sure it gets programmes correctly. The sti pinks are not an issue for me sure in winter time with a taller rubber I hit my mudflaps if I drop into a deep pothole however this is only when the card is full loaded with gear and passengers. Usually two adults in the back plus gear and you will hit the flaps but like I said only if the pothole is deep enough. I did figure out the resistor issue it seems linked to the pioneer headunit. Plugging in USB key or an iPod is what would eventually cause the issue. The solution was to connect iPod via Bluetooth, so far so good no other issues to report on my setup and I just rolled into 42k. I have recently changed the exhaust to the nameless axelback and and also altimax rt43 for summers. I will update this thread when I get some time. Hope this helps

Sent from my Find 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks aeoporta! I believe those winter tires were a 255/60/17? I think the offset on the 502's is 38mm+. I'd like to get 255s for my next choice. I'm stuck between doing the audio first or suspension/handling related upgrades. I want to get pink springs, and a 22mm whiteline rear sway. The sway bar I could do myself. As for Japanparts.com, I'm referring to the conversion from USD to JPY to find the best time to make the order. Shipping costs are high! I'm assuming you probably dropped about 4 bills to get those STI springs w/ shipping?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Welp shes at 43k now

Changes from original build:
Nameless Performance Axleback Exhaust with 5" muffler because the SSD Chambered exhaust rusted to **** after two years
New Summer tire: General AltiMAX RT43 because the pirelli cinturato p7 only lasted 18k, I swear I was gentle on them, sometimes :)
Rear Wiper: TRICO Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade, 14B because my usual valeo didn't fit.

So far the A/C resistor issue has subsided, haven't had a reoccurance since I started connecting via bluetooth so I suspect
the usb port on the pioneer may have contributed to the issue but only time will tell. knock on wood.

Car has been rock solid, no oil consumption or etc, I change the oil every 5k, no rattles just waiting for it to stay warm
so I can detail her.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
24 Participants
james_copper50n
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing