Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an imported a 2006 Subaru Forester Cross Sport SG5 2,0 Turbo and just looking for some advice. Appreciate any help people can offer.

1) general reliability of the engine/turbo/gearbox

2) how often should I do oil changes every 5k?

3) any common faults/issues to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,745 Posts
I have recently just had one from Japan. Great cars with the bomb proof 2 litre engine. Great set up for corners etc I have the auto. Just had it mapped and it goes great. I have the oil changed every 10k changing it every 5 k is good. I don’t know where you are I the Uk ? Foresters Subaru in the West Midlands are very helpful and won’t rip you off. Good luck brilliant machines. ATVB Alan

·
Registered
2006 Cross Sports 2.0T Manual
30 Posts
Likewise... finally got mine this week after a 5 month wait. Manual though :)

They share the engine and gearbox with the EJ205 2.0 Impreza, which is a fantastic engine if, as you say, you change the oil regularly using a quality fully synthetic (Millers, Fuch). 5k is probably overkill, but if you can afford it then great.

Starter motors tend to go after around 70k, but not hugely expensive. I’ve also heard Foresters suffer from electric windows failing.

Rust is killing UK cars - thats what made me go JDM. Well that and avoiding the 2.5!

If you’re buying an auto, I’d be wary of paying some of the prices being asked by UK dealers. £8k+ is a huge margin on what they fetch in Japan. £7-7.5k is more reasonable, depending on warranty offered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also forgot to add I've seen one with 72k on the clock so will ask about the starter motor. What about the cambelt? Been told every 40k/4 years?

·
Registered
30 Posts
5w40 on the oil.

Cam belt is 5 years/50k miles, but personally I’d be changing at less miles than that for peace of mind. Will easily last the 5 years + if you do lower miles though. Going to be changing the belt on my 1993 WRX this year, which I last changed in 2010.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so viewed the car today. They do look awesome in the flesh!(well metal) no rust, good tyre tread, general good condition. The downside though is that there is an oil leak! Dealer said they would fix it if I wanted it. Any common causes of an oil leak? Looks like it was on the mechanics report also when it was imported. Tempted today steer clear even if they do fix it

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crankshaft oil seals and rocker cover gaskets are common culprits. I certainly wouldn’t discount it just because of an oil leak, as they’re rarely serious. Did you check the oil level?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts