Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm imminently about to buy a Forester XT (lower tax band so to late 2005 / 55 plate?), but getting my head turned in various directions on various points reading through t'internet, about:
  • 2.0 v 2.5
  • To tune or not to tune (will I cause damage? keep manual stock, but tune an auto is more sluggish?)
  • Manual v Auto (is auto a slushbox? is it quicker than 7.3 0-60? is manual too jerky around traffic?)
  • Real world performance stats on different engines and transmissions
I'm sure many of you are like this, but I love to soak 'information' (opinions, stats, reviews), but I am extremely time-poor and don't have the luxury of time to travel to and test loads of different cars. I'm more 'absorb info' and test 2-3 with a friendly mechanic by my side... What I don't want is to wake up one morning saying, "Oh, why did I go for that one...?" :)

I'm sure this has been done to death, so very happy if anyone has already raised similar questions in a thread and can post a link or two. Thanks!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,614 Posts
You've not looked in the "stickied" threads yet then?

especially this one (although it is of some age now)

ps. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Don!
No, I haven't yet... had just been rooting around, so not familiar with stickies. I appreciate the nudge though and will take a look in me lunchbreak ;-) (all afternoon...)

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
414 Posts
As someone who was new to Subarus last year, my findings/feelings on the 2.5 XT Manual are as follows:

They are extremely fun to drive, although heavy foot means heavy fuel use, so expect the first few fuel bills to come quickly, then once you get over that initial childlike behaviour, you can start to save the boost for special occasions and thus save fuel...

The clutch is pretty damn heavy, at least in mine, I wouldn't say it's overly jerky in traffic, but it's not quite as nice and smooth as say my previous car (focus with dual mass flywheel), also the clutch in my van is extremely light by comparison... if I've driven the forester around for a little while I then feel like I'll put my foot and clutch pedal through the floor when jumping into the van.. I recently spent Christmas in the channel islands and the traffic over there isn't fun and I've got to say I was growing weary of a heavy clutch..

Real world stats on performance? It's quick enough for me to get bollocked at least once a fortnight by the wife, also caused the mother in law to let out a screech, followed by "what are you f*****g doing?" when I was pulling away after making a hasty 3 point turn... and as a 70+ yr old lady, she doesn't often let out such expletives...

Things I've come across in the short time:

Window winder died - common fault
sunroof drain holes blocked and caused a leak inside and subsequent wet backside... easy fix
secondary air pump failed, throws up warning light- easy £30 fix by deleting from ecu.
HID issues currently...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ian...
that made me laugh! Reminded me of Alan Partridge, strapped to the wheel of death, having knives thrown at him by Tony le Mesma, shouting "Woah, what are you doing, you stupid, stupid man!!"
I wondered if you (or anyone else on here) ever considered an auto? Some people seem to love them and find them fun in gear select mode, but I'm concerned I won't feel like I'm "driving".
Great to have your thoughts earlier though and encouraged by what you've said, in a way.

Don
I'm working my way through those stickies :)

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Honestly, you need to drive a manual 2.0XT and 2.5XT yourself to see the difference. The 2.0 needs to be worked harder and power delivery isn't as smooth in my experience (Not driven a 2.0XT Auto). The 2.5 is very smooth compared. (We don't talk about non-turbos :p )

2.5 can blow head gaskets - If this has already been done, then you are laughing.

Common faults from my own experience:
Rear Self Levelling Suspension will leak and cause the *** to sag if they are original. KYB Excel G shocks and Springcoil springs will fix that problem for under £300
Driver's side window motor can die from rusting up
If you get a facelift model, the secondary air pump can die or the valves can get stuck - Easiest solution is fitting blanking plates and having someone map out the error codes. - Pre-Facelift models don't have the secondary air system to worry about
Brake Calipers can stick if it's been sat a while, due to mild steel pistons with a anti-corrosion coating that wears off overtime.
Radiators can crack along the plastic tank parts at the top too

I have a 2005 Pre-Facelift 2.5 XT manual and can average ~28 in a good week and when having fun, closer to 20mpg.

There's at least one fantastic condition (And modified) Forester for sale on this Forum by a member and you can look back through his older threads to see what problems might have been encountered and solved already

As for modifying, both the 2.0 and 2.5 turbos are very easy to gain more power from. A remap giving more power can even give better fuel economy too ! I'm not sure how remaps work with the autos of if it is even possible, having to change shift points etc.

I've driven a 2007 2.5XT Automatic sport shift and it was verrry smooth.......It was very easy to lose track what speed you were doing as it really was effortless but you felt a bit disconnected from the drive.. The manual is definitely quicker and in my opinon, more fun..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi TMX, I appreciate the feedback. Interesting point about the 2.5l head gasket issues. Good to know, as I'd understood it was imprezas that suffered from that due to over-modding and XTs were different setup and compression ratios, etc. It's something for me to keep my eyes open for...!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
The 2.5 head gaskets seem to go from about 100K miles upwards. But there's been the odd one or two that have gone much lower. Generally once they've been done, the problem is solved.

The radiators can go around that time and if you don't notice and it begins to overheat, it can take the head gaskets with it during the overheat :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clarifying. Something to highlight during a pre-purchase mechanic check-over

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to take a 3rd look at a 2005 plate, 2.5 XT this avo. My mechanic joined me for a once-over. Haggled and purchased.
Feeling sad as it'll be replacing my awesome 306 Gti-6, which is now too small for my growing family :-(
Feeling happy after the drive home though! Great with the auto in heavy rush-hour traffic just now and very quick on open stretches. Now to take my kids out to show them who's the Daddy! (or the big kid in the driver's seat...)

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,549 Posts
Ian...
that made me laugh! Reminded me of Alan Partridge
Welcome to the forum .
Just so you know Ian is actually Alan Partridge.
However I would read his threads because he has asked every single question known to man , so if you have a few months to go through all that you may come out wiser.
If you look at my first post " whats the biggest top mount intercooler" you can see where im coming from .
I only intended to ask one question when I joined , but six odd years later im still asking questions and still getting answers and made a few good friends along the way.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
Looks good @NickJ Did the previous owner never have floor mats or took them out for the sale ?

There's no way you can have the original factory Self Levelling rear Suspension surely !?

What's the first mod? ;)

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
414 Posts
Looks v nice! What year is it?

If there is any service history stamps but no paperwork of work done, try and give the service garage a ring and explain you're the new owner and just wanted some info of previous work done.

I did that on mine, found out it had had the rear suspension replaced with genuine self levelling Subaru suspension...errr...and a bunch of other bits and bobs, found a receipt in the folder for new clutch as well (obviously not applicable for yours!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good @NickJ Did the previous owner never have floor mats or took them out for the sale ?

There's no way you can have the original factory Self Levelling rear Suspension surely !?

What's the first mod? ;)
FIrst mod? Improve drag coefficient by removing the towbar ;-) anyone want it? or should I keep it on to further enhance its 'sleeper' qualities?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts