Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if any of you guys on here could help with this one:

I first noticed about a couple of months ago that the nearside rear of the car seems to be sitting a little lower han the offside. I put it down to parking on a slope, but every time i park it somewhere now i look from the rear and it definitely seems to be sitting lower. In the end yesterday i got the tape measure out to check it wasn't my eyes and its true, the left side is sitting about 10mm lower than the right. I had a quick look around the suspension strut but couldn't see anything untoward. I don't carry any excess loads in the car, in fact its usually only me and certainly no loads in the boot.

The car is only a 07 with 36k on the clock and whilst i've read a few threads on problems with the SLS, i don't know what i should be looking for! Its still in warranty, but i'd like to have an idea what i'm talking about before taking it to the dealer (and the chance of them fobbing me off).

Any advice?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,884 Posts
This could just be spring sag but as you say you are usually the only one in the car then its normally the drivers side that would sag.

First off, check all four corners, in case the lower reading on that corner is caused by one of the others (analogy a wobbly table)

Wheel Arch Height page attached.

The specified rear heights have a +12/-24mm variation so you are well within that.

If you want to test the SLS, measure the rear heights, put some weight in the back to lower it and then drive for a mile or so and then re-measure. It should by then be back to normal

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll go and measure the gaps on each wheel and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Never had a car before that sagged on one corner, especially at less than 3 years old!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
I'd get the rear wheels off and have a look/feel under the protective boot. Any oil at all and i'd get them to fit new struts.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just measured the ride height from the underside of the wheel arch to the centre of the hub and its 44cm all round except the nearside rear which is 43cm. Measured it before and after driving 5 miles with a few people in the car and it was the same. Any ideas?

I know its not the end of the world but if it is symptomatic of a suspension problem i'd leike to get it sorted before it runs out of warranty next month!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts