Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an XT for sale locally for pretty cheap, I'm thinkin about jumping on it but want to get pricing on replacement parts. Its an 04 XT that was running a Vf39 on stock engine with stock intercooler (with a downpipe and Accesport) that he ran low on oil and the engine spun a bearing at full boost while street racing. The turbo is trashed, i know the internals are trashed, but what do you think about the heads? I am looking at snagging a brand new STi shortblock for around $1,600, but which year can I use? I know the newer engines use the AVC, does that matter? What I want to do is drop a motor into the car and use it as a DD, not a race car. Looking around locally finding an STi short block is like finding Unicorn poop, what I find is definately NO GOOD!

TL, DR;

Found cheap XT, needs engine, what short block to use

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
782 Posts
When you pull the motor it would be trivial to inspect the heads for damage.

This thread has some pretty good information on EJ255 vs EJ257.

(single) AVCS in foresters starts in 2005 according to cars101. AVCS is a function of heads rather than the block though.

If you want to avoid AVCS then go with pre-AVCS Forester or WRX heads. STi pistons would increase your compression ratio which would improve off boost performance. I don't know that it would be worth a price premium on a DD though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts