Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2007 Forester 2.5X LL Bean 4EAT will be 3 years old on May 30, 2010. We have 21K on the odometer now. I have been offered a Classic extended warranty from SOA for $564 which would cover the car through 2013 or 60K miles. I'm trying to decide if this is worthwhile for us.

I do all of my own maintenance as per the SOA schedule except for oil changes which I do around 3,750 miles. I have worked on a previous 1986 Subaru we've had including changing the timing belts. I plan to do the belts when it is time on this car. I would be essentially buying coverage for the "hard" parts - block, transmission and axle components.

The car is used for light use and is not loaded down or used for towing. Extended top speed we do is around 70mph on the infrequent long trip.

The only real concern I have for this car is problems with the aluminum cylinder heads over time. Is this a problem that I should be concerned about given the use of the car? Are there other problems for the newer Subaru's that I should be aware of? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
You already have 5 year 60K power train warranty. At most you will get only 7 months of coverage assume you don't clock out on mileage.

Sounds like a waste.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
Is there anyone that offers discounted subaru warrantys beside the dealer? Not a 3rd party warranty but an OEM warranty

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
Extended warranties are generally a poor value. Stick the money you'd spend on one in a savings account in case you need it.

The cylinder heads should not be a worry. The HG failure issues on the older cars were a result of poor gaskets, not the heads. Most of this has been corrected over the years anyway.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
$500 to cover you for one year longer than your OEM warranty and no more miles?

Not worth it, IMO. It sounds like you drive ~7k a year, so in 3 more years you won't have touched the mileage. So you are really paying $564 for one year of coverage.

Is that piece of mind worth $1.55 per day?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Another option would be to self finance. Kinda what I did on the lease of my MY09XT. I planned on spending up to $550 on a lease. I looked at many vehicles and had some $$ to put down, actually I traded a vehicle I owned outright. I finally settled on the MY09XT. I really liked the XT, what it offered, and what I needed the vehicle to do. Anyway because I was going to spend $550, I decided to set-up a separate free bank account for the lease payment. Every month I transfer $550 into the account (this can be automated). My lease payment is roughly $291 per month so the remaining $$$ stay in the account. At the end of the lease I will have approx $9288 in the account. I can either use it to buy the FOZ or if I decide........get something else. I know, I know......I'm hoping SOA will bring back the FXTi, maybe in MY12, wishful thinking :biggrin:. You could do the same as I described above. Just put $40, or whatever you are comfortable with, in an account every month. In 3 yrs you will have $1440. That should cover just about anything you will need to do especially since you do your own work. Most of the dollars spent on repairs goes to labor anyway IMO. It's just another option for you.

I actually do the same with the group of guys I grew up with. There are 9 of us still standing. Sadly we lost 2. We have an escrow account set up where we each contribute $40 a month (automated withdrawal). Every 2 years we do a 3 day trip to wherever (several choices offered, and the most votes wins). The money saved pays for the hotel rooms, air fare and at least 1 elaborate dinner and a special function (i.e. white water rafting or golf or ?). Plus it's a way to ensure we get together. There is always 6 months advance notice of the itinerary and if you can't go you forfeit your share to the group. No one has missed. It's great fun seeing the guys. We all look forward to it.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your thoughts. I forgot that the powertrain warranty goes to 5 years, And the save a little every month is a great idea. I was also glad to hear that the warped heads are a thing of the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts