Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Well I finally made the plunge, and it's about time I did. I'm done with elaborate plans on trying to work with the factory radio. I purchased aftermarket this evening. Now, the next goal is deciding on a sub for the rear. Could you all offer some advice on securing the box or base tube so that it won't move around/roll around. Please include methods for a flat bottomed box as well as something that would work for a tube. Thanks in advance. : )

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
Fit it inside the spare tire well underneath the cargo area. That spare tire is poo. If you get a flat, you can't drive with that tire on. Not at all.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,798 Posts
If you're going to have it sitting on the carpet, glue Velcro hooks on the bottom of the box. Don't use too much, or it may be very difficult to release it from the carpet. :icon_eek:

BTW, I said "glue", since most of the "peel & stick" stuff I've tried fails when it gets too hot. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I found that in my case, the sub eventually gets in the way. FXTs don't have a boatload of room back there to start with and a sub box will eat up a good part of what's there.

Nasarog has some awesome custom enclosures in his that take up minimal space and look like they belong there. I elected to put mine in the spare tire well - see this post.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
If you're going to have it sitting on the carpet, glue Velcro hooks on the bottom of the box. Don't use too much, or it may be very difficult to release it from the carpet. :icon_eek:

BTW, I said "glue", since most of the "peel & stick" stuff I've tried fails when it gets too hot. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
BINGO! That's exactly what I use. I use the industrial strength velcro. I just stuck two of the 3" wide velcro strips to the bottom of the box, and used 4-screws per velcro strip to make sure it stays on the box. Works perfect, and hasn't moved with all my crazy driving, off-roading and snow drifting. Hasn't budged.

My box is less than 1 cubic foot (measures 12x12x12, but has an angled back that is facing the seat), and it the exact width of the drivers side rear seat, so when you fold down the passenger side, it doesn't overlap.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I wouldn't velcro a sub box down. It isn't strong enough to hold it in place during an accident. I'd use one of those heavy duty straps used to secure loads in trailers. Hook it to the tiedowns in the hatch and strap it down tight.

it might seem like overkill, but a former Seahawk player got in an accident in his Chevy Tahoe, and his unsecured subwoofer box flew forward. The impact broke his neck and paralyzed him from the neck down. The same thing happened to a local in a Datzunm 240Z a couple years ago.

Loose speaker leaves driver paralyzed

02:26 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

SUSAN WYATT / KING5.com

WSP

The large speaker inside the Datsun flew forward in the crash and struck the driver in the neck.

SEATTLE - A 27-year-old Redmond man was left paralyzed after the car he was driving was rear-ended and a non-mounted speaker in his car flew forward and hit him, breaking his neck.

The Washington State Patrol says the man was driving a Datsun 240Z and was stopped at the ramp meter light on the NE 70th ramp to northbound I-405 on Saturday afternoon when a second man driving a Ford F250 pickup failed to stop for the meter light and ran into the Datsun at a high rate of speed.

The impact of the crash caused a speaker in the Datsun to fly forward, striking the driver and breaking his neck. He was left a quadraplegic and remains in serous condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The driver of the Ford, a 40-year-old Bothell man, was not injured. The truck he was driving is owned by Intrastate Painting Corporation in Seattle.

The collision remains under investigation.

The State Patrol is urging people to be cautious when mounting speakers or other devices in vehicles. They say appropriate brackets designed to withstand sudden stops or impacts should be used.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All:

I failed to mention I'm using the rubber mat in the rear. I suppose the same use of velcro could apply. Sea scooby thanks for the reality check and good call. Blue Fox what are you using for a box? Is that a wedge box I can purchase? What do you have mounted in it? An 8"? How's the sound and what year forester are you driving?

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
Under seat sub (powered).. a low profile one might work for you.

By the way, what year is your car? if you have an older model car.. Sea-Scooby is the man!!! He does amazing work.. look at the sticky in this section of the forum, if it's newer and you do not want to heavily modify like I did (heavy in a sense of a lot of fabrication), then an under seat sub or spare tire well is your best bet if you are trying to not lose any utility.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
You wont have room for anything else with 2 12" subs....I ended up taking them out (first time I have ever sacrificed audio for space). That rubber mat thing works well though, if you have a heavy box. I also tried going 1 12" in a sealed box. While the box was smaller, it still wasn't enough sound to justify the loss in space. In the past, I've used little 'L' brackets to screw to the box and through the trunk floor. Those worked really good! But I'm not about to drill into an '09 car.

Couldn't even put my Freebord back there :(

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
You have a tie down to the left and right of that big box. Use those to mount a racheting tiedown strap. They are easy to remove so it wouldn't be mush work to loosen it to get the box out.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
You have a tie down to the left and right of that big box. Use those to mount a racheting tiedown strap. They are easy to remove so it wouldn't be mush work to loosen it to get the box out.
Like I said... the man. Never even thought of that (no that I would have done anything different), but a good idea just the same.
:rock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts