Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized I introduced myself incorrectly (by posting my "Hello" in someone else's introduction). All I said in that post was, "Two days ago I got my first Subaru. It's a new 2010 Forester 2.5X Limited."

I'd like to add to my introduction, "My name is Sheila. I live in the Hudson Valley Region of NY. I haven't gone on a trip away from home in over 30 years. I needed a car I could sleep in, take my little dog with me, and carry my kayak.

I have no clue where I plan to drive to, but maybe I might get some ideas from the folks here in this forum? Now that I have new car payments, I'll be living off peanuts, raisins, crackers, and water (i.e., no restaurant stops or hotel rooms). Thankfully driving doesn't consume too many calories and the Forester doesn't suck up too much gas, so I better travel while I still can, right?"

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Welcome! I moved your first post from the other thread over here.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone...

I appreciate feeling welcomed here and look forward to becoming better acquainted with others and learning new things. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
A Forester owner AND a kayaker? You are all right in my book!

Welcome!!!!!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Forester owner AND a kayaker? You are all right in my book!

Welcome!!!!!!
Then maybe you will help me to know where I'd tie down the front and back end of my kayak on the roof? I still need to order cross bars and something to mount my kayak on.

I plan to have my kayak sit on the rooftop right-side up (not on its side). I've never gone far with my kayak, so I wonder how do I keep rain from accumulating inside the kayak when driving through storms while touring across the states?

When I was younger, I practically lived outdoors. The reason I got my car is because I need to come back to life. It was at the end of last summer when I finally bought a kayak (my first time!). I love paddling so very much and am glad my dog enjoys riding along!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Hey. I started out with the foam blocks type kit...

Needless to say this scratched the poo-ka-ka out of the roof of my foz...

So then I upgraded to crossbars. I found the easiest (cheapest) way to mount my kayak to them was using the foam blocks I already had. I attached them to the crossbars and then placed the kayak on top of them. This worked well for short trips.

After doing that for awhile I upgraded to kayak cradles. You attach them to the crossbars and leave them there and place the kayak on top of them. They work great even for longer trips. You want to tie down your bow and stern. I don't know the new attachment points on the 2009/2010's, but I am sure if you get down on the ground and look under your Foz near the front bumper and rear bumper you should be able to find the tie down points for the bow/stern.

Regarding keeping the water out - you can get a kayak cockpit cover.

If you search for "kayak" you should be able to find a bunch of threads about kayaks, seems Foresters and paddlers go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Good luck to ya. Any other questions, lemme know.

P.S. Don't ever use bungee cords to tie down your kayak. They allow too much movement and can come loose. Use nylon type straps. I found cheap ones at Home Depot (motorcycle tie down straps). You can find them at places like Harbour Freight also for not too much money...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts