Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owners here use any aftermarket additives?

>> oil treatment for engine ....transmission ...or diff ?

Rick

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
I don't believe in additives - if they are so good, why aren't they in the oil to start with? The only thing I have ever added is Techroline to clean the fuel system.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Nothing as far as my oil, trans, or dif

But every oil change I just pop in a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner after the first fill up

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
The only stuff extra I put in my car is TechTron Fuel cleaner and redline water wetter.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Peaty said:
... and redline water wetter.
I wasn't sure of the compatibility of WW with the FXT.
I'm glad to know that YOU of all people here are using it.
My Sube will be ingesting a bottle on Monday then.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
I was using lucas until I found this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm so now its just plain oil, I still use lucas injector cleaner
Thanks for the info I think I just found out what happened to my RS. Foaming oil, ultra high revs, and we have a dead Monty... I thought it was vibration from the perrin CP, but lack of lubrication could have caused my serious mechanical failure.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
FXTIam said:
I don't believe in additives - if they are so good, why aren't they in the oil to start with? The only thing I have ever added is Techroline to clean the fuel system.
Couldn't have said it better myself.....& that's exactly what I use.

The only so called 'additive' I've used was Amsoil's Engine Flush before switching to Amsoil ASL 5w30 oil & the related oil filter. Other than that, I use a large bottle of Chevron with Tecron complete fuel system cleaner every 6 months. :cool:

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Peaty said:
The only stuff extra I put in my car is TechTron Fuel cleaner and redline water wetter.
What specific improvments have you noticed Peaty with the Redline Water Wetter? I'm doing a coolant flush next week at the Subi dealer (with related Subi coolant conditioner).....I can grab a bottle of this & pour it in afterwards......just wondering how beneficial it would be & how much I should use (pour the entire bottle in the recovery tank or measure?). :think: :?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting .,......... I've read that those additives are treferred to as " snake oil"

no additives by me ..unless a fuel system / injector cleaner

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Rx said:
interesting .,......... I've read that those additives are treferred to as " snake oil"

no additives by me ..unless a fuel system / injector cleaner
Not sure what you mean Rx? :confused:

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
As per Peatys suggestion, I'm gonna use a half bottle of RL WW in my XT when I get it too. ;-) So far so good in my wife FXS. :cool:

Bummer is, I used the other half in my Lexus......just before I traded it in lol.

J

·
0 Posts
You don't need any additives for the oil or the coolant. WaterWetter does nothing for the coolant. The only additive I add to the gas is either Techron or Gumout Regane (I prefer the latter) fuel injector and fuel system cleaner every 15,000 miles as insurance in case the fuel system cleaner the gas companies put in their gas is not doing what its claimed to do, which is keep the fuel system clean. Here's Water Wetter's claim from its website:

"WaterWetter is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems."

Your thermostat is used to keep the coolant and engine temp at a certain level. There's no need to reduce that temp from that which it is as the engine and thermostat came stock from the factory. If for some reason you want to reduce that temp, do it the proven and proper way and get a lower temp thermostat. And I'd like to see proof that the WW reduces the coolant temp by 30 degrees. Every antifreeze already has ingredients in it that give you rust and corrosion protection. That's one of the main purposes of an antifreeze. Any protection that WW might give you (and again, I'd like to see the proof that it does) is overkill. I don't know why the advertisement refers to protection for "racing engines" when they are trying to sell WW to normal drivers, who of course are not driving racing engines. It won't increase the heat transfer ability of your coolant -- that's nonsense. The heat transfer is the result of the coolant constantly circulating through the system and how much heat is transferred is also partly the function of the thermostat. This stuff is snake oil.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Redline has much more specific info on their website that explains things in more detail including a little movie demo. :)

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/Water_Wetter/water_wetter.htm

While it's true that the coolant circulating helps to move heat by forced convection, you first have to transfer the heat via conduction from the metal of the motor to the coolant, reducing the surface tension with a surfactant such as water wetter or purple ice helps this process along. A little surfactant goes a very long way. Surfactants in effect make water wetter I'm guessing that's how they came up with the name. What actually removes the heat form the system is the radiator.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm glad I noticed this thread, so I don't have to start another.

I have less than 500 miles on my '06 Forester (L.L. Bean), but I was just filing some of my paperwork when I noticed a couple of interesting things on the Dealer's service department's "Service Menu". The 3750 mile service is basically a glorified oil change for around $35 (which I believe is about average for a dealer). But at the 7500 mile service they also add Wynn's Oil Additive. And at the 15k service they add Wynn's Oil and Fuel Additives, and after draining and filling the transmission fluid they add Wynn's Transmission Treatment. They also do that at the 30k, and in addition, they add Wynn's Radiator Treatment. Sounds to me like they have some deal with Wynn's.

I've met the service manager and parts managers, and they seem very nice. The shop is clean and neat, not too far away, and they have very convenient service department hours.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has such things added as part of the dealer service maintenance, or if this is particular to this dealer. I'm probably going to ask them not to add the stuff, unless you think it's a good idea. I'm guessing it won't do any harm, but I'm certain it's not a Subaru requirement. And frankly, if I can save a few bucks on the bill(s), that's always nice. Whether they'll honor the request may determine how often or even if I go back there for service.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i've seen mention of BITOG (oil forum). they like auto-rx for special situations (sludging for instance). i've used it to free a sticking hydraulic lifter successfully and so has another friend, both on MB's. otherwise i use techron only for gas.

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
My feeling is if the oil people feel such an additive was needed they will include it & if they did not, making a big mistake, others would do the additive bit & rave about it poot the one oil firm in shame & loss of sales plus reputation for some time to gain back it prior customers.

I do buy Wynns for I use it when lubing the bbl of my 9mm Parabellum semi-auto h/guns for it does help when one is only using cast lead bullet tips, as 9mm Parabellum is great for leading the bbl while jacketed bullets or partially jacketed bullets help to keep the rifeling clean of leading. Though according to laws here in Cdn we cannot use partially jacketed or fully jacketed bullet tips at our indoor range.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Subifreak said:
Not sure what you mean Rx? :confused:

additives are referred to as SNAKE OIL because you might be better off killing a snake ....extracting the oil from it's skin and putting it into your engine , tranny , diff etc.

Hope the animal rights activists don't sue me for using this reference ....lol....

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Peaty said:
Why that particular fuel cleaner with so many on the market? I'm looking for a quality cleaner to keep my motorcycle carbs clean and also for my XT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts