Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester xs
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 forester xs. I'v added a borla header already and would like to know what I'd need to add a turbo. I do not want to touch the computer. So will this engen alow for a turbo? What size? What is the differance in from turbo to turbo back?

·
Premium Member
None FXT i exploded 4eat one good 4eat
809 Posts
I have a 2003 forester xs. I'v added a borla header already and would like to know what I'd need to add a turbo. I do not want to touch the computer. So will this engen alow for a turbo? What size? What is the differance in from turbo to turbo back?
Step 1. Sell or trade in your car.
Step 2. Purchase an XT

Seriously! This is an honest anwser and your best posible course of action.

Your goals, "I want to add a turbo. I do not want to touch the computer" Are mutually exclusive.

That or a complete swap from a turbo car.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Can't rememeber his name, but he gave that car to his son. According to what I've read here, you will only be able to run about 5-6 lbs of boost, and won't make a bunch more power. Motors are completely different. At least in FL, xt's do not sell for much more than well equipped n/a fozzies. I agree, sell yours, add your budget for parts, and buy a clean xt. Then you can mod that and have 20 lbs of boost. WAY more fun for the same money.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Theres absolutely no way to do it without touching the computer, you can't just bolt on the turbo+xt piping and have it work.

It would cost about 5-6,000 to turbo your XS (and run about 6psi), or about 2-4,000 net if you sell your XS and purchase an XT (and have a full STI engine, 11+ psi, lots of aftermarket support and easy tuning). I figure an 03 XS should go for around 7-8k and an 04 XT generally goes for around 8-11k.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
You can see pictures of my '03X engine with an AVO turbo kit installed here & here. you can find more comments from me here. Also try a forum search "avo turbo kit" (with the quotes) & you'll get lots of threads to read.

Bottom line, I can't recommend installing the AVO Tubo kit, since I wouldn't do it again. Figure you'd have to lay out $5K for the AVO turbo kit installation (not plug & play!) & you'll need an XT hood plus installation & painting. Way too expensive & the money would be better spent buying a used XT. :frown:

Still... The '03X has had the AVO turbo kit for over 5 years & I've had zero problems. No shop time for any problems in years. :smile:

I've done as much as I can on my '03X, so I passed it on to my son & I've moved on to my new to me '07 FSXT that I purchased in July. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester xs
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I did not realise the sx and xt internal engen components were different. I now think you are all right and I'll get an xt or keep my eyes open for a wreck to salvage till that time comes to sell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts