Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winter arrives, cold weather package envy sets in. From the data I was able to gather from this site, some harness bits are there ready for the plugging, and others aren't. I'd love feedback from people who have first hand experience, especially with an 06-08 SG

1) Heated Mirrors: Is the harness there for heated mirrors? One thread even suggests that the stock mirrors on the big mirrors are already heated, what's the dealio here?

2) Heated Seats: Seems that the 08 XT does not come wired for heated seats. Unless someone knows otherwise, this seems to be the consensus

3) Heated Windshield: on another thread, someone suggested that the wiring is already in place for the heated windshield. Anyone have first hand experience with this? If this is the case, would swapping the windshield and getting a switch be the only things missing to add this feature?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
To my understanding the wiring for the windshield is in place already, not sure on the seats as my '07 already has them.
As for the mirrors, there are two different wiring harnesses for the mirrors listed in the parts books. I assume the difference is one has the plugs for the mirror heating elements as that was a feature on the Canadian models which is the destination code listed for that harness.
I remember going through the particulars a while back with beantown to try and figure out a parts list required to do the heated mirrors on a USDM 07-08 sports model. I'll have a look and see if I can dig that up again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on a similar quest. The wife demands heated seats (only the seats for now) in her 01.
Does anyone have a parts list for this upgrade? I saw some kits online that are not OEM and any feedback on those would also be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found some of the answers on the forum. Look for a post by n2x4 (I can't post links due to low post count.)
Looking for a donor car now. :) Thanks, N2X4!!!

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Duderotomy!

i'm looking for more information about the complete wiring harness of the 06-07 heated/turn signal mirrors.

it'll be great if you can post some more info about them.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
I'd like to see that too. I wonder if its as simple as ordering the elements from a CDN Subie dealer. Should have paid more attention when I took off the door panels this summer to install speakers.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Im interested as well. I would love heated mirrors and windshield. The good thing about living in KY is windshield are free of charge due to state law. I have been averaging a new one about every 15 months due to road debris.

·
Registered
2007 forester sport xt
474 Posts
heated windshield and side mirrors

I was told by the service technician that sold me my 07, that the 07's and 08 sport xt's were not pre-wired for heated side mirrors or windshields.

·
Registered
08 FXT Sports 5 speed
467 Posts
Did this thread just die with no new info? Im wondering if the 08 XT sports had wiring for the heated windshield. The three of us in the car tonight fogged the crap out of it on the ride home and it took alot to clear it up.

·
Registered
08 FXT Sports 5 speed
467 Posts
After more research it looks like its just a de-icer? My Silverado has heated glass that gets up and cooks the frost or fog off the window in a hurry. If it just heats the window wipers It doesnt sound that great but the window company said they would replace it with a heated windshield so.....confusing.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
It wasn't meant as a defogger, just mainly to unfreeze the wipers and keep them that way.

·
Registered
08 FXT Sports 5 speed
467 Posts
It wasn't meant as a defogger, just mainly to unfreeze the wipers and keep them that way.
Hmmm, if it operates a deicer in the windshield wouldnt it operate a windshield defogger just the same? The car fogged pretty bad and it would be nice to find a fix for it.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
our tribeca does, well sort of, when you push the front defog button it redirects air to defrost the windshield turns on the deicer and defogs the front mirrors. I don't have the package on my forester but I would think you could just use your defroster to do the job, the heat strips can be painfully slow at times.

·
Registered
99 Forester 4EAT
55 Posts
What is the possibility/difficulty of adding heated seats from one forester to another if I can get all elements needed? Switches and all wiring plus heated seats?

·
Premium Member
08 forester sport xt 5spd
459 Posts
any new info to add ?

has anyone confirmed that 08 fsxt has the correct wiring to plug and play the following

heated mirrors
heated seats
heated windshield

·
Premium Member
2008 XT Sports
635 Posts
any new info to add ?

has anyone confirmed that 08 fsxt has the correct wiring to plug and play the following

heated mirrors
heated seats
heated windshield
I can confirm that on my 2008 Forester XT Sports 5MT did in fact have the wiring harness for the heated windshield.

I will ALSO confirm that the purpose of the heated windshield is to keep the wiper blades from freezing to the glass AND to keep ice from forming on the blades causing "chatter".

Yes - I had an opportunity to test it. Yes it worked wonderfully under those adverse conditions!

In my case I had the shop $$$ multi volume shop manual (paper one)
I also took the A pillar cover off to confirm that the wiring was there

FYI - the Fog light wiring is there, if I recall the heated mirror wiring is there, but the HEATED SEAT wiring is NOT there :(

In my case - the windshield cracked. So I had a local shop (whom I work with all time) get a new windshield installed. I wired in the switch (or rather removed the blank and inserted the plug into the switch and plugged it it - the windshield installer connected the glass to the connector in the A pillar)

:woohoo:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
I recently replaced my windshield and since the heated one was cheaper I had that installed and plugged in. Yesterday I got a used switch and would like to plug it in but I'm not sure which plug to use. There are two blanks that have a connector plugged in could you tell me which one to use? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts