Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3" turbo back exhaust,down pipe is cattless invidia, mid is turbo xs, and axle is the OEM muffler that I opened and built to meet the 3" exhaust.
The smell is killing me so I want to add magnaflow 200 cells cat, my question is...do I have to put it on the down pipe or can I put it on the mid pipe as well?
It is not for the emission test but just to absorb some gases.

Sent from...somewhere

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
643 Posts
Cats work best at very hot temps. I'd imagine exhaust gasses would cool off significantly by the mid pipe. If you went this route, I'd say wrap everything back to the heads to keeps exhaust temps up. A catted dp may be the better way to go, particularly one with the cat right behind the turbo. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The invidia catted down pipe goes with cat right behind the turbo, grimmspeed catted downpipe goes with the cat just before the connection to the mid pipe ,so I was thinking instead of uninstall the downpipe to put the cat on the mid, that is easier.
What else I have the wideband o2 30cm from the turbo so the cat can't be install there.
So the only 2 options is or at the bottom of dp before the second o2 sensor. Or at the mid pipe.

Sent from...somewhere

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
The only real issue I can see from installing the cat pre downstream O2 is if you have had your car tuned to run cat-less. If you have, and install the cat in front of the downstream sensor you will obviously need a re-tune. Likewise if the car is tuned to run without a cat and you install what will amount to a restriction post sensor, your car will probably not like this either. Just one mans two cents.

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean less/more fuel, less/more ignition, less/more boost?
I didn't have any issues with the downpipe when installed it before tune, what else I pretty much controll all of the ecu tune my self so this isn't the main problem.
Just want to insure the most right place for the cat under those circumstances.

Sent from...somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts