Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Forester is a slick top. Lol. I'd wanted a roof rack, but it didn't have one when I got it. Can I add one later? If so, which one? I saw a set of fixed crossbars on line for $400. I'd really like the black ones that you see on most Foresters. Is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017 base model manual 6 speed
1,259 Posts
Hi @TeuckerNate, the original roof rails if you did not get them when you bought it, is PITA to do as many people suggested here, because you need to remove the fabric and everything else. I am in the same boat as you. You can get the OEM to use without the rails or go with aftermarket ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmm.....after reading that, I may not want factory rails...thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,132 Posts
You're welcome!

I've no personal experience with this stuff, but the threads were interesting, so I bookmarked them.

Mike

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
122 Posts
Hi @TeuckerNate, the original roof rails if you did not get them when you bought it, is PITA to do as many people suggested here, because you need to remove the fabric and everything else.
I'm going to be adding sound insulation to my roof so I'll be removing the fabric anyway. Is there a thread / instructions on how to add the factory rails? I'm totally down for this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to be adding sound insulation to my roof so I'll be removing the fabric anyway. Is there a thread / instructions on how to add the factory rails? I'm totally down for this.

Hmmmm. Interested. Sound insulation? Can I ask why? My car is already too quiet. I wish it was louder so I could hear it better for shifting.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
122 Posts
Hmmmm. Interested. Sound insulation? Can I ask why? My car is already too quiet. I wish it was louder so I could hear it better for shifting.
Too many reasons to list.
1) I have a CVT, no gears to listen to.
2) I'm installing a high end sound system and like to hear the fine details without turning up the music to hearing damage levels. This is pretty standard practice when purchasing speakers of this quality, it makes a huge difference.
3) I've measured my cabin noise and the decibel levels are at or above levels the nidcd.nih.gov says will cause hearing damage for long road trips. Most people don't care about this stuff but I would like to keep my hearing as sharp as possible.
4) I want to be easily hear anything anyone in my car says with out road noise / distractions.

You asked so I answered, so how do I add that factory roof rack? I can't stand the looks of crossbars to posts. I love the factory rails!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too many reasons to list.
1) I have a CVT, no gears to listen to.
2) I'm installing a high end sound system and like to hear the fine details without turning up the music to hearing damage levels. This is pretty standard practice when purchasing speakers of this quality, it makes a huge difference.
3) I've measured my cabin noise and the decibel levels are at or above levels the nidcd.nih.gov says will cause hearing damage for long road trips. Most people don't care about this stuff but I would like to keep my hearing as sharp as possible.
4) I want to be easily hear anything anyone in my car says with out road noise / distractions.

You asked so I answered, so how do I add that factory roof rack? I can't stand the looks of crossbars to posts. I love the factory rails!

Sounds like very solid reasoning to me. I'm also weighing and considering factory rails or something different. If it's THAT big of a pain, I'll do something aftermarket or maybe pay the dealer. Haven't decided yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts