Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting the SOA Added Security extended warranty, and would appreciate thoughtful advice from the smart folks here.

We took delivery on our very first Subaru, a 2019 Forester Limited in August of 2019 (2.2 years ago) and have been quite happy with it. It has only been serviced by SOA during the first 2 years/24,000 miles.

It recently hit 32,000 miles and went in for the first paid maintenance visit – tire rotation, changing the oil, brake fluid, and filters. And I mentioned that the AC system seemed sluggish recently, not working as well as normal. They found that the AC was “undercharged” meaning that they drained out only 372 grams of refrigerant whereas the spec is for 385-435 grams. After refilling to 435 grams, they did not find any leaks. So that visit cost about $400, and everything was working OK.

A few days later the audio in the car just disappeared = no sound at all from the radio, no sound after connecting iPhone apps. The service person said they have heard of that problem only a couple of times, and today they replaced (under warranty) the Harmon Kardon amplifier under the passenger seat, which has restored the audio.

While waiting at the dealership I was thinking that the vehicle is really a bunch of computers on wheels. Going forward, various parts will fail - similar to this story about the amplifier.

I calculate that we have owned this Forester for 2.22 years and are driving it an average of 14,685 miles per year. If we continue to drive at that rate, we would reach 100,000 miles when it is 6.8 years old; and we would reach 120,000 miles at 8.2 years. In the past, we have kept our cars for more than 10 years.

I inquired about prices on the SOA extended warranty, and realized that we would need to purchase the warranty within the next 3,400 miles.

This dealership is apparently owned by a Japanese industrial conglomerate called Itochu. The finance guy shared with me his Sales Guide for October 2021 that shows pricing for Subaru’s “Added Security” Gold Plus Plans with $100 deductible:

10/100,000 Retailer Cost $1370 MSRP $2,390
15% off MSRP =Price to me $2,031

8/120,000 Retailer Cost $1660 MSRP $2680
15% off =Price to me $2,278

My wife says we should just say yes to that second option.

Here is a another, maybe wacky, idea:
due to supply chain issues, I gather that all car dealers, including SOA, are making big profits on used cars, and encouraging owners to “trade up” to a new car. Some say that the prices on used cars have gone up way more than the prices on new cars (as a percentage).

So, instead of buying the extended warranty, could it make sense to apply that ~$2,200 and add a few thousand dollars more to drive away in a 2022 Forester? I don’t think very much has changed in the vehicle since 2019, although the finance guy offered his opinion that Lane Centering is a worthwhile improvement.

Sorry for this long post, in summary I really have two questions:
  • pull the trigger on the Added Security warranty?
  • Trade up to a new 2022 or 2021 CPO Forester?
Thank you! 🙏

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate all the comments here.
My thought now is to skip the trade-up; if one orders a 2022 model today, it might be delivered in February, but who really knows?!

That means I will probably pay $2499 (single payment) for the 8 year/120,000 mile extended warranty with zero deductible,
which costs only $221 more than the $100 deductible plan.

Then we will plan to keep the car for at least 6 more years and most likely longer than that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts