Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting the SOA Added Security extended warranty, and would appreciate thoughtful advice from the smart folks here.

We took delivery on our very first Subaru, a 2019 Forester Limited in August of 2019 (2.2 years ago) and have been quite happy with it. It has only been serviced by SOA during the first 2 years/24,000 miles.

It recently hit 32,000 miles and went in for the first paid maintenance visit – tire rotation, changing the oil, brake fluid, and filters. And I mentioned that the AC system seemed sluggish recently, not working as well as normal. They found that the AC was “undercharged” meaning that they drained out only 372 grams of refrigerant whereas the spec is for 385-435 grams. After refilling to 435 grams, they did not find any leaks. So that visit cost about $400, and everything was working OK.

A few days later the audio in the car just disappeared = no sound at all from the radio, no sound after connecting iPhone apps. The service person said they have heard of that problem only a couple of times, and today they replaced (under warranty) the Harmon Kardon amplifier under the passenger seat, which has restored the audio.

While waiting at the dealership I was thinking that the vehicle is really a bunch of computers on wheels. Going forward, various parts will fail - similar to this story about the amplifier.

I calculate that we have owned this Forester for 2.22 years and are driving it an average of 14,685 miles per year. If we continue to drive at that rate, we would reach 100,000 miles when it is 6.8 years old; and we would reach 120,000 miles at 8.2 years. In the past, we have kept our cars for more than 10 years.

I inquired about prices on the SOA extended warranty, and realized that we would need to purchase the warranty within the next 3,400 miles.

This dealership is apparently owned by a Japanese industrial conglomerate called Itochu. The finance guy shared with me his Sales Guide for October 2021 that shows pricing for Subaru’s “Added Security” Gold Plus Plans with $100 deductible:

10/100,000 Retailer Cost $1370 MSRP $2,390
15% off MSRP =Price to me $2,031

8/120,000 Retailer Cost $1660 MSRP $2680
15% off =Price to me $2,278

My wife says we should just say yes to that second option.

Here is a another, maybe wacky, idea:
due to supply chain issues, I gather that all car dealers, including SOA, are making big profits on used cars, and encouraging owners to “trade up” to a new car. Some say that the prices on used cars have gone up way more than the prices on new cars (as a percentage).

So, instead of buying the extended warranty, could it make sense to apply that ~$2,200 and add a few thousand dollars more to drive away in a 2022 Forester? I don’t think very much has changed in the vehicle since 2019, although the finance guy offered his opinion that Lane Centering is a worthwhile improvement.

Sorry for this long post, in summary I really have two questions:
  • pull the trigger on the Added Security warranty?
  • Trade up to a new 2022 or 2021 CPO Forester?
Thank you! 🙏

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,667 Posts
When it comes to your question - option 2 is probably the least likely to happen - simply because there are no new 2022 Foresters around (maybe Houston Texas is a bit different, but here in SoCal - with 20+ dealers within a 2 hour drive - there are NO 2022 models on the ground and only a few (less than a dozen?) 2021 Foresters on lots or in transit. The same can pretty much be said for a 2021 CPO Forester.

There is very little change between your 2019 Forester and the 2021. In reality, the 2022 is not very much changed, either, with a new nose and some tweaks or revisions to the tech (like Eyesight) but the majority of systems are the same.

When I bought my 2014 Forester (in August 2013), I had no qualms paying the money for the Subaru backed extended warranty (aka Gold/Gold+, Added Security warranty) - even if just because I know that the costs of major repairs can easily surpass the cost of the warranty. - EDIT - I paid about 1700 back in 2013.

As you referenced, there are so many computer systems in the cars these days - from the engine and transmission controls to the safety features to the audio unit and on and on and on - and replacing or repairing those systems are expensive. But even mechanical repairs are covered by the extended warranty offering too.

On my 2014 Forester, it was found that there was a "cam carrier seal" leak. This is due to the seals being not much more than the typical "liquid gasket" caulk like stuff and it's usually applied by hand and at varying thicknesses. This repair requires pulling the engine out - a rather pricey event. There are a few other repairs I've had done over the years that were covered by the warranty and was more than worth the cost.

So my suggestion is to buy the warranty. However, you can also shop around at other dealerships to get the best price. It may be that your dealer will not budge from the $2200 price offered, but you may find that another dealer within your area will offer it at 1700 or 1900 or whatever. And getting it at a dealer in Dallas does not impact your ability to use that warranty at your dealer in Houston. The warranty is valid at ANY authorized Subaru dealership.

There was a time when you could actually buy the warranty from any Subaru dealer in the US (maybe even Canada) but Subaru has now limited your warranty to certain regional areas. So it may be that you can only purchase from a dealer in Texas. Or maybe Texas and some other surrounding states based upon the regional area as defined by Subaru. So google some other Texas Subaru dealers and call over and talk to the folks in the "F&I" department (finance office) as they're generally responsible for the sale of the warranty.

Just be sure to ONLY get the Subaru backed warranty and not from some other company.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just did that with my 2017 last month. It was only a few miles to the big 60k maintenance, oe tires and brakes were worn down... Sold it and bought a new one. Was never my plan, I actually intended to keep it much longer. But I checked prices and walked into dealer with a 25k carvana offer, they offered 17k. Carvana made it silly easy. Then bought my Forester from a different dealer since that one wasn't super keen on slinging deals. shrug.

It may be just me, but I would have a hard time doing it for a same generation. 2019 to a 2021 is not going to feel all that different.
2022's are not expected until January at best...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate all the comments here.
My thought now is to skip the trade-up; if one orders a 2022 model today, it might be delivered in February, but who really knows?!

That means I will probably pay $2499 (single payment) for the 8 year/120,000 mile extended warranty with zero deductible,
which costs only $221 more than the $100 deductible plan.

Then we will plan to keep the car for at least 6 more years and most likely longer than that.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,625 Posts
Shop around. Or tell tham that you are willing to pay $1600 for option 1 and say $1950 for option 2. I know you can do better than those prices. You can shop around in your home state I believe. Check dealers online and get a price. We opted for the 8 year 80K warranty. We will jtrade when it expires.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
153 Posts
10/100,000 Retailer Cost $1370 MSRP $2,390
15% off MSRP =Price to me $2,031

8/120,000 Retailer Cost $1660 MSRP $2680
15% off =Price to me $2,278
I am shopping around for a gold plus plan, and was just quoted 3285 for an 8/120k with 100 deductible. These guys must really be aiming for the stars with his profit margin hopes!

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,667 Posts
That's the "if we're lucky and they're stupid" approach to pricing.

Remember that the warranty coverage is sold by the finance & insurance office (where you sign all the papers). The sale person you buy the car from gets commission on the sale of the car and the commissionable gross but the F&I guy (or gal) only sees commission from those extras he (or she) can sell - like the extended warranty. In some cases, they may even push another warranty over the Subaru backed one because it costs less to the dealer to offer and so he can sell you the off-brand for a bit less than the Subaru and still make a bigger commission on that sale.

As the old song says "you better shop around"...

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
45 Posts
When we got our 2021 forester we got the gold plus 10 year 100,000 mile warranty with $100 dollar deductible. that includes car rental expense up tp $40 per day, road Service for breakdown $100 and trip interruption $500 per breakdown.Cost $2215 well worth the peace of mind. we live on social security and don't need extra expence down the road. When you get the added security it covers every thing your AAA membership covers.Tire change. batt jump, emergency fuel, lockout assistance. We cancelled our AAA membership.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
3 Posts
I would buy the warranty for used car. Why because you will get the protection you need. Buying a new car will cost thousands more. Why not take the money that you would spend on new car and invest it in a s and p index fund. At the end of five years use that money increase and buy your new car then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts