Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5x
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking of adding a 4D lighted logo to the grill of my 2006 forester. My question is, is it better to tap into the drl circuit, or something else? I'd like the logo to be lit when the car is running, but I don't know if the drl circuit is powered when the headlights are on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Not sure about the 06 but on my 18, the fusebox under the hood there are 2 relays in the center then an open spot for a relay. One of the center slots is powered when the engine is running, I use that for running lights behind the grill which are on all the time. I just plugged the power in with a spade on the wire.

·
Registered
2006 2.5x
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.... I'll have to check to see if that's the case, on mine. Drop a voltmeter on it, and if it's powered. Good call 👍

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Post a picture once you have it powered up! This may be something I'd like to add :) link to where it is from would also be good:) On the 18 the Logo is attached to the hood part of the grill so wiring will require a little more work but nothing I haven't done before.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
474 Posts
I saw an XV with a lighted rear emblem on the highway the other night. WOW, super bright and distracting! I'm pretty sure that's a fix-it ticket waiting to happen...

·
Registered
2006 2.5x
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, sorry for the absence - I haven't been getting updates in regards to this thread.

4D, i'm guessing is just some kind of generic name - they're all over Ebay; which is where I ordered mine from.

I'm getting one for the front, which sits between the headlights, so it won't be any more distracting than the headlights, themselves. I'm also getting a red one for the rear tailgate, which will be wired into the brake lights.

Just have to wait for this cold snap to end - its going to be in the negative double digits for the next week or so. Too damn cold to do any work.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,249 Posts
Well, sort of. The "4th dimension" is the time component of Spacetime (using the Einsteinian terminology). Minkowski mathematically represented the 4-dimension continuum.

Obviously, x axis + y axis + z axis = 3D + time being the 4th.

So, you're right that "time travel" is really not the right way to look at it. It's actually movement through Spacetime. Which is represented by the construct Minkowski Space.

Do you also subscribe to the quantum theory that all Spacetime already exists in infinite variation and that what you consider "you" is simply your individual perception unique amongst infinite "versions" of "you" each making infinite choices that move the infinite "you"s though those infinite points of Spacetime?

If that makes sense. Hard being concise about such things.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
@Gigatron , could you please post pics of the badges when lit? I am thinking of adding a rear illuminated blue logo to the 17XT.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
972 Posts
I saw an XV with a lighted rear emblem on the highway the other night. WOW, super bright and distracting! I'm pretty sure that's a fix-it ticket waiting to happen...
I’m not a fan of these either. I keep seeing them on a bunch of otherwise very nice MB AMG’s hereabouts and they just make the cars look .... kinda .... ick.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,249 Posts
If the emblem is equal brightness or dimmer than the rear lights (while not braking), it would look fine. If it's brighter, then it would look tacky as heck. It would, IMO, need to be subtle in order to pull it off.

One on the front would be illegal if it's any color other than white or amber. You're also only allowed 4 light sources on the front, but that refers to outputting sources. Headlights and aux lights. So you'd probably not get stopped for it simply because it's there.

·
Registered
2006 2.5x
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I replaced the rear badge, and I tied it into the third brake light. First pic, lights off. Second, headlights turned on. Last pic, stepping on the brake pedal.

It wasn't a hard install, just had to drill a hole through the inner panel, without drilling into the wiper motor assembly. Then it was just a matter of running the wires up to brake light, and using T-taps, to tap into the power and ground.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts