Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Adaptive Cruise Control - Love it or Hate it?

• Love it!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I'm OK with Cruise, but not with Adaptive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is part of the official Irreconcilable Differences list. Feel free to vote in the poll, express your unassailable, heartfelt views on the subject, and check out the main list for links to other items of endless debate.

Foresters in the 2014+ generations feature the Eyesight capability, which includes Adaptive Cruise Control. In contrast to previous implementations of Cruise Control, this adds the feature of monitoring the distance to the car in front of you and adjusting your speed to keep a constant distance between the two of you.

How do you feel about it?

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've always been a fan of cruise control. I once installed an early version on my Dad's car. Magnets on the axle and a nearby sensor! It relieves lots of muscle tension on a long trip, but you do have to be careful and keep your wits about you.

Adaptive cruise control made that even easier. When out on the main roads, I set it 5 mph above the speed limit and go with the flow. I never forget that I'm the one in charge, but I trust it for the gentle adjustments.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
916 Posts
Foresters in the 2016+ SJ and SK generations feature the Eyesight capability, which includes Adaptive Cruise Control.
Available since 2014 in the US, I believe, on all models except the Base. It was optional on our 2015 2.5i Premium, and even though we didn't really want a moonroof or rails, we bought the Premium so we could opt for Eyesight. As seniors who were about to retire, we wanted the safest car we could afford.

Adaptive Cruise is by far my favorite feature of Eyesight, although I'm also happy with the other active safety features. I use ACC far more frequently than I ever used passive cruise on previous cars. It doesn't affect my awareness or degree of control, and I always override it when traffic gets dense, but for long stretches at constant speeds it's a great relief for my arthritic ankle.

I only use it on limited-access highways, and only when the prevailing speed is a little faster than I want to go. That is, I usually want to go limit+5, up to 65, where traffic usually wants to go limit+10, up to 80. So most traffic is passing me, I'm usually in the right lane, and ACC kicks in mostly when a car has merged onto the highway ahead of me and is still accelerating. When I do overtake, I just accelerate, pass, and let off on the gas after moving back into the right lane.

I usually use the middle of the three distance settings. I can't say whether the newer version of Eyesight would change my use or opinion. We've had our Forester 5.5 years, and the system has never failed or misbehaved (aside from the expected issues with poor visibility).

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester Automatic
83 Posts
I like adaptive cruise control. Only had my car for 2 months. I just use it like I did conventional cruise control.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
389 Posts
I love it! It really keeps me off the backs of other cars. I have a habit of riding up too close with standard cruise control, then I tap the brake and have to reapply the cruise after a pass. With the adaptive feature, all this work is done for me and as I pass the speed picks back up.

The only feature I do not like is when I speed up past the set cruise (I pass cars, I do not overtake cars. This pisses me off when others just slowly overtake a car over the span of three minutes. I find it unsafe to just sit in another cars blind spot and prevent them from safely manuevering in case of road hazard or for when they want to pass a slower vehicle). So, after the pass if I end up with a speed around 10 mph higher than the cruise control set speed, then the car will actively brake to slow back down. I wish there was a way to diable this feature. I would prefer the car just coast back down to the set speed and resume accelerations to hold that set cruising speed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
13 Posts
I love it. One of the main reasons I bought the car was the fact that it was standard equipment vs. having to pay another $3,000 to $5,000 like other car brands.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
916 Posts
I love it. One of the main reasons I bought the car was the fact that it was standard equipment vs. having to pay another $3,000 to $5,000 like other car brands.
Even when we bought our 2015 (in June 2014), Eyesight was offered as a relatively low-cost option (something like $1200, I forget exactly) on the Premium trim, which was just one step up from the base model. At the time, this was a rare bargain, and made that version the cheapest compact SUV with an advanced safety system on the market.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love it and use it probably 95% of the time. I normally turn on when I leave home and use it the entire time. I drive in mostly 35, 45 & 65-80 speed limits and it works great. I also feel it has made me a better driver as I never tailgate anymore. I've never reached a point as using as auto pilot as I still feel I'm in control unless I fail to see something that eyesight sees. I've had it warn me a few times and so appreciated it. Drove about 18,000 miles so far.

I think some people don't like it or use it because they can't drive like idiots with it engaged.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
607 Posts
I paid extra to get Eyesight as a option and have not regretted it. I regularly drive 400 miles in a day and ACC makes this much easier.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The only feature I do not like is when I speed up past the set cruise ... So, after the pass if I end up with a speed around 10 mph higher than the cruise control set speed, then the car will actively brake to slow back down. I wish there was a way to disable this feature. I would prefer the car just coast back down to the set speed and resume accelerations to hold that set cruising speed.
In situations like this I tap Cancel, let the car coast down to about the set speed, and then tap Resume. I do a similar thing in the situation where a car slows down in an off-ramp when I'm staying on the highway, but the car is still within the range of Eyesight and fools it into actively slowing me down. It just takes a couple of seconds for the other car to get out of range before I switch it back on.

My fingers are already very close to the buttons, so it's a pretty easy move.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts