Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reviewing my expenses for 2009 with my accountant and as a side light noted my vehicle operating expenses dropped quite a bit. For the first full tax year with the Forester, it cost me $0.39/km to operate (in Canadian funds), with 32,000 kms put on the beast in 2009. These costs include:

Fuel, about 27% of the total;

Insurance;

Routine maintenance (there was no "repairs" required as there shouldn't be being relatively new);

Two way radio fee and other miscellaneous fees;

Depreciation (which is about 50% of the total :huh: ).

Does not include any kind of finance fees (loan or lease payments as that will vary by individual).

For 2008, which was 8 months of the 2002 Pathfinder and 4 months of the Forester, the km rate was $0.55 and total kms was slightly less than 2009.

On the downside, due to many more trips to Vancouver Island to see my elderly father, the personal % has gone up, reducing the amount I can claim on my business :icon_sad:

When I mention the total cost of running my vehicles, people look at me like I am some sort of weirdy as I point out it costs about $80 just to run the vehicle to see a movie. I guess most just worry about how much fuel they have to put in and never account for the rest.

Anyone else tracked actual total operating costs and willing to share their experiences?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Wow,
I never really broke it down like that. But you've inspired me to expand my spreadsheets! :smile:

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow,
I never really broke it down like that. But you've inspired me to expand my spreadsheets! :smile:

Thanks for the info!
I have to do it to this detail (and more actually) for tax purposes, and accounting software makes it easy to do. We do not go to this detail on our van.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts