Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Clearly I'm not mechanically inclined. Or perhaps I'm just really new to all of this. My 2013 Subaru Outback has a top mouting oil filter and I thought this must be so easy to change my oil. Apparently not.

I drained all my transmission fluid and apparently on the 2013 Outback there is no dip stick and I don't know how to refill it.

Can anyone help? Also please tell me what kind of tools I will need to do this.

Forever greateful.

Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Accidently Drained My Transmission Fluid **Need Help**

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i

I accidently drained all the transmission fluid and I don't know how to refill it. It doesn't have dip stick.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
You have to refill it through same home you drained in. A syringe or turkey baster might help

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
I used a looong funnel about 20" long or so...maybe closer to 2'.

So....how did you accidentally drain it?

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
This happened to me only it was the auto shop that did it in my old car...:chair:

Make sure you let it run after you add the fluid to get the levels up.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
Bummer!!! Sh*t happens. I just bought the tall/long funnel from a local NAPA....had the filter screen on it, too, for a few bucks and it worked great. Can you re-use your old fluid? Otherwise, I found the best place was getting the ATF-HP at the dealership but others might have better suggestions on where to get it.

Is your 2013 Outback running the FB25/4EAT? If so, then I think your best bet is that Subaru ATF-HP fluid IMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
You should just get a fluid transfer pump from auto parts store or walmart if you are going to diy then you will have it on hand for next time. They are very helpful especially on fluids that you have to pump in.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
787 Posts
If I read this right you've got a 2013 Outback with a CVT?
There is a couple of words which come to mind and they would probably be blocked by rules on this page. Have it towed back to the dealer and bring a high limit Visa card with you
You'll need it.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Everyone makes a mistake.

Anyway, the poster over on the Outback forums was lucky enough to have a 4 post lift. You'll need to get all 4 wheels off the ground, and level to boot to accurately check the fluid after the top-off. Or, if you have any idea how much you got out, put that much in and take it to the dealer for a top-off. But - do not re-use what you drained out. That's a recipe for disaster due to incidental contamination.

Probably not a bad idea to let them "bless" the fluid anyway to preserve your warranty.

Can't wait until I need to do this in my FXT as well. Actually I can..... I read somewhere the Forester requires setting the level in conjunction with the fluid temp. Actually you do that on a regular AT now, its just so much easier when the engine's hot and its sitting on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Two threads merged.

Note: The OP's 2013 Outback 2.5i w/ auto trans is fitted with the FB25 engine and CVT transmission. Ref 2013 OM Page 7-22 on). There is no dipstick (oil level gauge) for the CVT (Ref OM pages 11-21 and -22)

The 2013 Outbacks fitted with the 3.6L flat-six engine are equipped with a "regular" five-speed auto trans; don't confuse the two configurations.

I wish I could offer more assistance, but I haven't yet worked on a CVT.

Best of luck,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
09 Forester XT STI 6 speed
374 Posts
Everyone makes a mistake.

Anyway, the poster over on the Outback forums was lucky enough to have a 4 post lift. You'll need to get all 4 wheels off the ground, and level to boot to accurately check the fluid after the top-off. Or, if you have any idea how much you got out, put that much in and take it to the dealer for a top-off. But - do not re-use what you drained out. That's a recipe for disaster due to incidental contamination.

Probably not a bad idea to let them "bless" the fluid anyway to preserve your warranty.

Can't wait until I need to do this in my FXT as well. Actually I can..... I read somewhere the Forester requires setting the level in conjunction with the fluid temp. Actually you do that on a regular AT now, its just so much easier when the engine's hot and its sitting on the ground.
4 jack stands and a level or a tape measure and then you have a poor man's 4 post lift

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
4 jack stands and a level or a tape measure and then you have a poor man's 4 post lift
True, but you need to get the whole mess as level as you can, if you're aiming for precision. That was why I suggested putting the same amount back in they took out and getting the dealer to top-it-off.

I'll be using the jack stand approach when I do mine. Wish I had a taller garage, I'd put in a lift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Argh!!!

Ok guys thanks for the help, I'm going to take another look at it today. Find the pump etc. I am going to buy the fluid from the dealership if they sell it to me and you're right about the top up for sure. I'll let you guys know how it ends up.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I don't know about the CVT in the Outback, but the Forester CVT is not user serviceable, i.e. the dealer needs to calibrate the exact amount of fluid needed with a Select Monitor (Subaru's scan tool). If it were me, I'd flat-bed the car to a dealership.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts