Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
The ECU can be removed by pulling the passenger front door sill and kick panel then pulling the carpet back. There is a metal cover over it that is held on with a few bolts but then it is right there.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,473 Posts
The ECM is under the carpet on the passenger side. Pull the off the threashold trim & the carpet can be pulled back. The ECU is under the protective metal plate. You can see a picture of it on the bottom of this post. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,473 Posts

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Is the location the same in '07? I saw what I thought was the ECU in the console in back of the ash tray/heater controls - something with a protective metal cover and a zillion wires coming out of it...
Thats the airbag control unit, don't touch it! The ecu on all subarus is under a metal plate in the front of the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Does anyone know why they put the ECU under the front passenger's feet to reduce footwell room?

Has anyone tried to re-locate it? I'm not aggravated enough to bother and risk so many problems, but it seems many would value increased passenger footroom over some other location tradeoffs. For example, sometimes a subwoofer is put under the seat(s). Why not have the ECU under a cover under a front seat instead of the footwell? I'm sure the connectors could be located such that you could still back-probe them to test without removing the seat. And ventilation vent could be done differently too.

Or it could have been put somewhere accessible by removing the glove box, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts