Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Total Newbie here...I have an 06 forester X with premium package, 96500 on it. About a month ago I started having an issue with the AC. In the morning it's fine and runs nice and cold on my 75 mile commute to work. I park it in the lot and it bakes in the 90 degree sun all day. About a month ago I was driving home and the ac all of a sudden started blowing warm for 5 or 10 minutes and then blew cold again. Over the next few days it got worse and worse and took longer to start blowing cold again.

Took it to the dealership, they found red dust by the ac clutch and replaced it (I have the 7 year 100K extended warranty). All fixed they told me. It Ran fine on the commute to work and I came out and started it up...interior temp was about 150 and I opened all the windows turned on the ac and it blew frosty cold...About 20 mins into the trip home it cut out again this time it took 20 mins to come back. It's tough to recreate for the dealer as it always happens at 5:00 when the dealership is closed and I'm commuting home from work.

Any Sugguestions? Hints? Diagnoses?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
If the problem has come back, then the dealer did not correct it. Is the system charged and free of leaks? Maybe the compressor itself might need to be replaced. Have this straightened out before your warranty expires, of course.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
My guess is a pressure switch problem. Do you know how to tell if the clutch is engaged? If there is a flow restriction for some reason, it will shut off the compressor when it hits the high limit switch. It will do the same thing if the low side pressure switch sees too low a pressure.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Problem could be excess clutch plate gap. When gap gets too large (> 25 mils) due to wear the magnetic field from the coil may not be strong enough to pull the plate closed and compressor will not start intermittently.

You can diagnose this problem yourself. When AC is not working, rap the clutch face w/a hefty stick (just a firm rap). If it immediately closes and AC begins to cool you've confirmed excess clutch gap is the problem.

Fix is to remove clutch plate (one 10mm socket size bolt) and remove a shim from beneath the clutch plate to close the gap to around 15 mils ( check specs for your compressor).

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts