Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get an intermittent noise from under the hood when using the heat on any setting. It doesn't change whether I'm accelerating, idling or in park. Just a hissing/metallic sound that last 4-5 seconds, and occurs every 10-20 seconds or so.

I looked under the hood while the engine was on and saw the AC clutch engaging and making the noise (some online searching led me to look for it). So, why would the compressor run when I'm using the heat only, and does this mean I need a new compressor? Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
119 Posts
It may be doing it to circulate the oil in the compressor so I’d doesn’t settle and go caput when you need it in the summer. That’s the theory anyways. The AC won’t actually come on as it is protected from running below certain outside temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, oliovlov. It's been going on for a while, but I've been noticing it a lot lately.

What's also weird: when I posted, the temps were in the upper 20s. Next day, temps were in the low 30s, and it was still happening. Just to see what would happen, I pushed the AC button and ran that for a few minutes, then turned the AC off. It seemed to stop the original issue.

It doesn't seem to be happening anymore. But, the temps have been in the 40s the last couple of days, so I don't know if that's the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts