Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day!

Last night I drove 130 miles in the 35 degree rain in upstate PA and NY.

I had the climate controls on manual. The temp was at 75, AC on, defroster and foot vents on (the far right on the dial).

The air coming out of the foot vents was about 75. Well and good.

WHY was COLD air coming out of the defroster vents?

I tried turing up the temperature to 80, yet only the foot vents got hotter. The defroster vents did not change, still COLD.

It was hard to keep the wife warm and the windsheild clear.

Anybody had this problem?

What is the fix?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
by defroster vents im gussing you mean the vents by the windshield? if so then its normal, the A/C is run to remove moisture

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
I've seen it happen. I've included some info from the manual. Hope it helps.

From the manual--

Note:
When the dial is placed in the "defroster" or "defroster and foot vents" position, the air conditioner compressor operates automatically regardless of the position of the air conditioner button to defog the windshield quickly. However the indicator on the air conditioner button will not illuminate. At the same time, the air inlet selection is automatically set to “outside air” mode. In this state, you cannot select “recirculation” mode by manually pressing the air inlet selection button.

Also, you cannot stop the air conditioner compressor by pressing the air conditioner button.

Heater operation, Defrosting or defogging the windshield:
To direct warm air to the windshield and front door windows:

1. Set the air flow control dial to the “defrost” position.
2. Turn the temperature control dial all the way to the right. (yes, the hottest setting)
3. Set the fan speed control dial to the highest speed.

If your vehicle is equipped with an air
conditioner, when the “defrost” or “defrost and foot vents” position
is selected, the air conditioner compressor automatically operates regardless of the position of the air conditioner button to defog the windshield quickly. However, the air conditioner indicator light does not illuminate at this time.

NOTE
Warm air also comes out from the right and left air outlets. To stop warm air flow from these outlets, turn the corresponding thumb-wheel down.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes - The A/C is on and works as it should.

My main concern is why is cold air coming out at the windshield and hot at the feet when defroster is correctly set and on. Temp is at 75, even 80.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts

My main concern is why is cold air coming out at the windshield and hot at the feet when defroster is correctly set and on. Temp is at 75, even 80.

Thanks.
because that is how it should work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when the defroster is on the A/C turns on in upper zone and the heat or A/C depending on what you want turns on in the other zones

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts

Thanks.
When you have this condition, is the A/C on light on? If so, just press the knob to turn off the A/C. This will turn off the A/C. Of course this will reduce the defogging/defrosting efficiency. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - the A/C light is on.

Is there a way to have the same temp air come out of the windshield and foot vents?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
Yes - the A/C light is on.

Is there a way to have the same temp air come out of the windshield and foot vents?
Quick answer, in defrost/defog mode, is no. When in defrost/defog, the best you can do is to press the knob & shut off the A/C until it's needed. :frown:

IMO, the automatic climate controls are a piece of crap! I miss the simple & functional controls in my '03 X. :mad:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts