Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is a mishap for me. It's not really that serious compare to others here. Just a repair and costs me $300. But this serves as a warning for others that I want to share with.

Last week we had a heavy snow storm here in Toronto. I went to work early in the morning. Found there still lots of snow on the parking lot the height of my wheel up to fender. I was thinking WTH. I can do this with my AWD. So I drove all the way to my parking spot.

An hour later I took my car out to a customer. First it was OK in the city. As soon as I hit the highway, the car jumps when I hit 100km/h. Steering wheel, stick and everything vibrates like crazy. Car also tend to go sideways. I immediately exit the highway and stopped at a parking lot. Checked the tires nothing wrong beside the fact that snow was covering the wheels (Winter steel rims). So I was thinking maybe the brake got ceased up. However city drive below 100km/h was OK.

End up not taking any highway and brought my car to the mechanic after work. Found out that the ABS sensors were soaked with water. He cleaned them and worked right away.

So the motto is never took your car to deep snow even it is an AWD vehicle. But again I thought the mechanism including ABS sensors in the wheel should be tightly sealed.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. It's not a wheel unbalanced issue. It was really jumpy and I mean it. The whole car was jumping as if it was riding on a series of speed pumps. And car was swerving left/right and I had a hard time to correct it. With LOUD clicking sound from wheels.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
I fail to see how the ABS caused the hopping and vibrations. As stated previously it had to be packed snow around rim.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
This was and unbalance issue nothing to do with the ABS sensors. If it was ABS related it would happen on a rain soaked highway as well.

·
Administrator
15,084 Posts
It would also happen after every deep water crossing of which I have done many without issue. Perhaps snow packed in the reluctor ring also confused ABS?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
394 Posts
Seriously out of balance tires from ice and packed snow will absolutely do this

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
No. It's not a wheel unbalanced issue. It was really jumpy and I mean it. The whole car was jumping as if it was riding on a series of speed pumps. And car was swerving left/right and I had a hard time to correct it. With LOUD clicking sound from wheels.
Your ABS sensors live inside the wheel, next to brakes, axles and the tire. All of these components are designed to get wet, do you think your ABS sensors actually stay dry when you drive in the rain? Subaru has a wet spray cell (or two, or three) where they test this sort of thing in a lab to ensure that you're able to drive through any snow, any puddle, without things malfunctioning.

You packed snow/slush/ice into your wheel, causing an imbalance. That is all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts