Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm somewhat mechanically challenged. But I'm good at research and following directions. Sleeperxt was going to help me install Ichiba 5mm spacers w/ extended lugs. I thought to myself "let me see if I can do it myself. if I run into problems, sleeperxt is still coming over anyway."

Reading the how-to on scoobymods, it didn't look too bad. Did one wheel, and was rockin-and-rolling. On the second wheel, I had two studs to go. Whacking away with the hammer the ABS sensor ring was moving and wedged itself. I didn't see it and had one more whack. A section of the ring broke off. (*$#_(#(*$ Finished it off, set the car back on the ground, and started the car. ABS light.

Here's my question . . . how hard is it to replace the abs sensor ring?

I should be pissed that this happened, but I'm not. I replaced 10 studs all by myself. Not a difficult job, but pretty taxing on the body. It also gives me more confidence to tackle more mods.

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,873 Posts
Im proud of you man! We all break stuff sometimes ;) Especially when our modding experiences are few and far between. Any pictures of the damaged parts?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Okay, its tomorrow : )
jk. Id also like to see some pictures of the new rollors ; )

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I read on NASIOC that I can probably JB Weld the two pieces together since this ring has no load on it. Just spins. Luckily I have the part that has the screw hole which would make it a little easier.

What do you think? I'd rather not remove the hub because that's more involved and the bearings will need to get repacked.

sleeperxt, I'll take some pics tonight. The car was filthy, I was filthy, and exhausted. Whacking 10 studs with a hammer made me pretty beat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Yup, that's a "pull the hub" fix. I was replacing studs last week and was very carefull not to break mine .What I did was to take a bungee cord and pull the ring out of the way of the stud coming out. Also, watch how far out the stud is so you can gently bang it the last little bit.

If you can JBweld it back then go for it. It doesn't appear to need to be physically strong, its just there for the ABS sensor to take a reading. I don't know why they make this part out of what appears to be cast metal. Keep us posted on your fix, in case one of use needs to do it as well.

On my Jetta it was metal. I bent mine and was able to hammer it back into shape. That would have saved you here.

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
If you can JBweld it back then go for it. It doesn't appear to need to be physically strong, its just there for the ABS sensor to take a reading. I don't know why they make this part out of what appears to be cast metal. Keep us posted on your fix, in case one of use needs to do it as well.

On my Jetta it was metal. I bent mine and was able to hammer it back into shape. That would have saved you here.
One more vote for JBweld. I don't think the tone wheel in the Forester is of the magnetic variety.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, it really cant hurt to try the JB Weld fix. If you prep the surface well, take your time and do everything right, the worst that can happen is that it wont work. If thats the case then we will have to replace the ring. But try the easy way first

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I got tired of looking at the ABS light and my wife and kid were going out, so I decided to see if I can fix the stupid tone ring. I didn't buy a new piece. I figured that since it was a clean break, I can line up the screws and the ends would be "close enough".

Took everything apart and put the broken piece and then lined up the other half and screwed it in. All you really see is a hairline fracture on either end. I thought it looked good. Put everything back and took a drive. Bam! Light went off. Woohoo! I'm so happy. Didn't cost me a thing.

·
Registered
1998 legacy outback
1 Posts
Gluing the ABS ring

So, I got tired of looking at the ABS light and my wife and kid were going out, so I decided to see if I can fix the stupid tone ring. I didn't buy a new piece. I figured that since it was a clean break, I can line up the screws and the ends would be "close enough".

Took everything apart and put the broken piece and then lined up the other half and screwed it in. All you really see is a hairline fracture on either end. I thought it looked good. Put everything back and took a drive. Bam! Light went off. Woohoo! I'm so happy. Didn't cost me a thing.
Hey @max6spd !

I just came across this forum because I too just broke my ABS ring last night while changing over my CV axle. I found out that if I wanted to replace it with a new one, it is going to be cost over $500! So I am encouraged to hear that you were able to glue yours back together with success. I wanted to find out if you have any suggestions or updates since it has been several years since you did this.

thanks - dylan

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic :'(
16 Posts
Hey @max6spd !

I just came across this forum because I too just broke my ABS ring last night while changing over my CV axle. I found out that if I wanted to replace it with a new one, it is going to be cost over $500! So I am encouraged to hear that you were able to glue yours back together with success. I wanted to find out if you have any suggestions or updates since it has been several years since you did this.

thanks - dylan

Where did you get that price from? I broke mine last night when I popped the hub out while replacing my wheel bearing. I found the part online for less than $100. I wasn't able to source it locally through auto parts stores or the dealership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts