Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any body know why an ABS light keeps going on and off? ABS will work when the light is off. Then after having the car running for awhile, the light comes on and ABS doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Can't help you much except to suggest to change the fuse even in it looks good. Always the first place to start.

Bland...

·
Administrator
15,100 Posts
If the E brake / handbrake light comes on at the same time, then it could be fuse related as they share the same fuse - well on my model anyway.

Otherwise, it's something purely ABS related.

What model do you have?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the model is my cousins 99 Legacy Gt....I'm just wondering if anybody had any ideas where to start....

·
Registered
70 Posts
This just happened with me over the last few weeks, sometimes it would stay on after ignition, when it should go off. Sometimes it would come on randomly when driving, then the ABS would not work when the light is on, my fluid was well topped up.
I removed the front ABS sensors in the wheel hubs, and cleaned them, they have a magnetic rod that were caked in brake dust and bits of metal from the brake discs, wiped everything off and reassembled, and the problem has stopped.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what should I exactly be looking for? Anybody have pics of this? Sensors...and what I have to clean?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
If you can here a buzzing noise after the car is shut off it is the ABS relay.

Rather common on the older Legacy models.

Pretty simple to replace, just remove the cover on the ABS module and pop it in. Most dealers should stock it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts