Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hacked the ABS system to electronically control individual brakes? Do we know what model Foresters have a dedicated ECU for the brakes? Has anyone even heard of this being done?

Cause we may be able to make a rock crawling Forester!!!! Well, we might be able to eliminate the 'diagonal spin' many of us hate.

Linked below is an analysis of how to hack a modern car using the OBD-II port. The exciting part (for me) is the following quote:

Our fuzzing of the Electronic Brake Control Module (see Table IV) allowed us to discover how to lock individual brakes and sets of brakes
I know one can hack a Range Rover's air suspension using the OBD-II port... why not brakes on a Forester?

http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-oakland2010.pdf:icon_idea:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
1) Sounds like a terrible idea.

2) Sounds like a terrible idea.

3) You could just have inline remote solenoid valves at the ABS module going to each wheel. Push the brake, hold down a momentary switch, keep that wheel locked. Just like a line-lock, but individual. You simply disable the ABS module and call it a day.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts

3) You could just have inline remote solenoid valves at the ABS module going to each wheel. Push the brake, hold down a momentary switch, keep that wheel locked. Just like a line-lock, but individual. You simply disable the ABS module and call it a day.
I agree with points 1 and 2. Screwing around with ABS just doesn't seem smart at all.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If you have the subaru select monitor you can mess around with all the valves and operation of ABS.

VDC does it, without causing you to crash.

I DO wish there was a way to adjust sensitivity though, especially for the "ice mode" it does if you have a wheel in the air where it won't allow that wheel to brake. Theres an intersection here that has some gravel at the end due to broken pavement and you have to stop a good 10 feet before you come to it or the ABS just doesn't let you stop. Would be nice to turn it down a notch without pulling the ABS fuse.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, guys. Not to be rude, but I'm not interested in starting or participating in a safety debate.

I AM interested in being able to electronically apply individual brakes - doing it programmatically seems like the cleanest method if its possible. If the solenoid idea is simple and effective I'd love to see a write up of it. Or even a conceptual sketch.

Does anyone have details on the ABS system that we may be able to use?

Do we have any ECU programmers that have spotted the brake codes?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I agree about the terrible idea part if this is a street driven car, but the OP mentioned a rock crawler?:eek: That would be cool. It would be cheaper if you figure out how to do this, but I have found that when off road, simple is better. Line locs are simple buttet proof valves with lots of high perf experience. Making your abs module try to hold back that kind of pressure for any real amount of time sounds like a failure waiting to happen. I say stick with simple. Add 4 of something like this where there abs pump now sits. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SBR-LL/?rtype=10

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
There is an Australian company that makes programmable stability control. Whiteline used to sell aftermarket stability control for performance car. I am not sure if they still makes it or not.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
There is an Australian company that makes programmable stability control. Whiteline used to sell aftermarket stability control for performance car. I am not sure if they still makes it or not.
Whiteline makes something called blackbox. Not excactly aftermarket stuff but tuning stuff for the traction control.
But I found an article on aftermarket traction control.
Browser Warning

That said it's probably cheaper to buy a aftermarket lsd

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
and as previously mentioned, pretty much unnecessary if you've got VDC.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts

It's not like the OP said he was going to go out and use it on the street dude, come on. He pretty much laid his intentions out that it would be used for off-road use. Hardly the need to call it a "terrible idea".

I personally think it's quite interesting. I would love to see someone come up with a device (or already use a device available) to be able to control the brakes individually from the device when off-road. Then, when you want it all back to stock, you simply unplug the device from the car. Genius really. No permanent modifications or anything, plug and brake. This would help tremendously when off-roaders get into those situations where the diagonal spin causes you the need for a pull-out. With a device like this, I could simply lock the one or two wheels spinning and pull my self out. Pretty much a manually controlled version of VDC.

Good luck on the project, keep us (or at least me) posted on progress.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
This would be the easiest way of doing it. Plumb the line locks in after the ABS unit to each wheels brake line. Wire to 4 switches = done, with no permanent mods or the risk of bricking any of the control modules.

Line locks work great, I have used them in place of/as parking brakes and as a anti theft type device on my CJ5 for years. Park, press brake, close the line lock, release brake. When its time to go simply open the valve and you are off. Topless vehicles with 1 wire ignitions systems are easy to steal, but when you can't find the release for the parking brakes:crazy: :shrug:

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everyone. Now I need to find out what OBD protocol my 2003 SG uses and whether it has an Electronic Brake Control Module/ABS controller that I can talk to via the OBD II port.

I have a Scangauge II so I can do some preliminary snooping, but it's rather laborious to program each command. So I'm looking around for some software and a OBD - USB cable.

I have officially started down the rabbit hole of OBD II, but it recently rained so it's time to get muddy!!!!!

Again, any input anyone can give on Subie OBD codes is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have a service manual?
No. I've found some odd site from here that sells it by chapter? I never could figure out what it was I thought I might be buying so I didn't risk it. Also heard of eBay CDs.

Can someone pipe up about those? Or want to sell me a copy? :)

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
739 Posts
I just found this thread...

any news here?

Did somebody test those line locks or "cracked" the abs?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You will really need a select monitor to do much however, if you want specific abs information, I have the subaru ABS technician's manual. It states that most models have one of these systems:
Bosch Nippon ABS2SL, ABS2E, Teves Mark IV, ABS 5.3 or ABS 5.3i

The individual solenoids are controlled by the ABSCM and HCU. All they need is a ground to activate, and then the ABSCM to turn the pump on. However the control system is quite complicated and I wouldn't mess with it.

The line lock idea is probably the best.

I think it would be better to just increase the amount of flex by removing sway bars so that you don't lift a wheel in the first place, rather than stopping the lifted wheel from spinning.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
739 Posts
i do have the quick disconnects of the rear swaybar, but have encountered some serious terrain in romania while offroading... and the thing with wheel placement is nice but when you are driving in a narrow logging trail in the karpatian mountains with trees and stuff on the side, there is not really the space to go back and place the wheels right ;)

finally i had to drive all the way back in reverse :( i couldn´t get over that obstacle because the front left wheel and the right rear wheel were in the air... i could get the rear to the ground with a little rock and a shovel but no way :(

so the line locks seem pretty awesome for the price :) i mean a cusco rear 1.5 lsd costs like a 1200 euro and those line locks only around 100 euro :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts