Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$220 to my door new and looking to mate it with the Exedy STG1 Clutch Kit.

All opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I know you've been on the fence on this one, but sounds like you want to do it.

I don't have experience with lighter flywheels on turbo cars, generally you'd want a heavier flywheel for a turbo car. How heavy is the stocker? Lighter flywheel will make the car more free-revving, easier to rev-match and more fun to drive, but you also won't be able to engine-brake as much.

I'd be curious to drive a Subaru with a lighter flywheel and clutch, I'm sure it'd be fun.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
So far outside of my expertise.
I'd love to hear more of the pros & cons though!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
i love my exedy products on both the 5 speed and 6 speed!!!
no experience with the light flywheel since the twin plate comes with the flywheel included

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stocker is like ~20lbs. Oh what the Hell, I just bought TGV deletes and they are a non-power getter. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
FWIW, Exedy makes most OEM replacement clutches, installed one in my Miata along with a lightened OEM flywheel (down to 13.5lbs from stock 18lbs).

Stan

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Been running an ACT Streetlite and Exedy Stg 1 clutch for quite a while now. I also had the same setup on my WRX. I love it. Now, it's be just as long since I drove with the stock stuff so I can't tell you the actual differences. I've only had ~3 misfire CELs over the course of a few years. I am also considering going with a lightened pulley just to see what happens.

As for engine braking, I seem to have plenty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts