Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so on wednesday i begin working on the subaru, its a 98 forester 160k body is decent undercarriage is a mix of rust and corroded parts i ordered a used rear swaybar with all 4 mounts and plan to replace the stock one where the passanger side mount is broken and the sway bar is bent... any tips for working on these cars?????? or is the sway bar pretty simple unbolt and bolt on the new one

yes its a noob question did read around a little but to busy to spend hours searching just looking for some friendly advice thank you!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,528 Posts
Not sure about the SF, but on the SG, it's pretty easy. The easiest way to work on the rear sway bar is to have the rear up on ramps so you can safely work under there. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 forester auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was planning on jacking it up in the rear and just going at it from there... i feel like it shouldnt be hard but im used to my miata so this is a whole new platform idk if ill have to remover other things or have to cut some bolts if theyre too rusted or what not, its more of a beater car i wanna make it clean but its never gonna be perferct. the issue was the little plastic sway bar bracket mount thing is snapped and the passanger side bar is bent and it knocks around when you drive

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,528 Posts
The rear sway bar bushing is secured by bolting into frame weld nuts. As long as they haven't pulled out, it should be a simple remove the old & install the replacement. :wink:

No winter road salts here in Oregon, so our vehicles don't get rusty.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 forester auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very nice! should be easy enough. yeah the car was from michigan and here in illinois we had a pretty rough winter i dont even want to know what its been through up north haha :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts