Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stumbled on this forum after doing a quick Google search for “Subaru Forester Forum” :p

I’m about to buy my first Forester :woohoo:

It's a black, ’98 5 speed, as a weekend camping/adventure mobile for me, the girlfriend, and the dog. I’ll also be commuting in it on and off. I can’t wait as I’ve read tons of reviews on Foresters, all very positive (25 mpg out of a 13 year old car? The Prius should hang its head in shame).

I’ll be looking to do a little cosmetic work on the rig:

floor mats to cover the beat carpet
new fog lamps and covers (the one I’m buying is missing a cover and there’s water in the fogs)
new grille guard (slightly cracked and sun-worn)
seat covers or maybe seats from a Gen 2? (think Ebay)
rims from an ’03 or newer Forester or Impreza (literally the only thing I don’t LOVE about this car is the weird aluminum things Subaru was passing as rims on some models)

If I wanted a car to mod I’d stick with my old ’78 280z so that’s not the route I’m going at all; I just want to be comfortable in my new toy :icon_cool:

Well that’s about it, I can’t wait to share some stories and post some pics of a muddy Forester!

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
409 Posts
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the board.

I have parted out a couple of 99 Foresters and still have some parts left, including a right foglamp. Give me a PM with all that you need and I will let you know what I have.

Bob

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
I can’t wait as I’ve read tons of reviews on Foresters, all very positive (25 mpg out of a 13 year old car? The Prius should hang its head in shame).
Well, I don't know about that.:biggrin:
The Prius is a whole, nother kind of car!

You will, however, get the very best mileage possible, with your 5 speed. If you drive conservatively, you'll be surprised on how far she'll go on a gallon of gas.

Post a pic, so we can see it, and let the adventure begin. :new_multi:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:

just make sure to check that everything is in order, and you'll have yourself one heck of a ride there.
Check for records of when the head gaskets were changed, if at all... as well as records showing the waterpump and timing belt were changed at 100k (assuming the mileage is that high)

Be aware that certain things are known to wear out, and someday might need to be replaced if they haven't been already. The overhead clock always stops working... there is a thread on how to fix that. The fuel filler spout is also known to rust out causing a check engine light for an emissions system leak... which is a straight forward fix and nothing to really worry about.

Happy motoring! Enjoy the new Forester assuming the deal goes through...

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok so a sweeter deal came along:

Tomorrow afternoon I'm picking up a silver, 2000 L model, 5sp. I'm stoked. :woohoo:

She's got a little bit of an exhaust leak on the driver's side (exhaust comes up from the manifold when the engine is rev'd up good) and the clutch pedal is a little sticky about half way through. Other than that, the car appears pretty cherry.

Oh yeah, and she's got 180K on her. The dealer didn't have much history on the ride. They got it in trade from another dealer who took it in trade on a new car sale. There's no sign of exhaust gunk in the overflow and I couldn't smell any exhaust in there after a decent test drive. I let it run while we were talking dollars for at least 30 minutes and the temp stayed great. Also no sign of coolant in the oil or leaks anywhere.

I hope I'm not making an unsafe assumption that one of previous owners replaced the head gaskets at some point. The way I figure it, there's no way the original gaskets could last for 180k right?? That must mean that if there's no sign of a leak now, they must have been replaced at some point... fingers crossed.

I'm hunting for some inexpensive (under $1,000) equal length headers because the way I figure it; if I'm going to replace the header gaskets, I might as well replace the headers while I'm down there :icon_wink:

Just to be clear though, I'm putting some cash away for a head gasket job. To be honest, with the help of this forum, I'm not too worried about doing it myself, especially if it gets me another 100k out of my new toy!

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the new ride on Friday, piled in the dog and girlfriend and headed for the Oregon Coast!

If you look close at the picture you can see some black and white ears in the back seat :icon_wink:

All in all she drove great. The drive to the coast from Portland is almost 80 miles so I figured it would be a great trial run. The engine is strong, no weird smells or leaks. The exhaust leak isn't noticeable unless you rev the engine with the hood up. The clutch is really sticky at about half way so that's getting looked at when I have a diagnostic run this weekend. The cruise doesn't work either which sucks, I wish I would have noticed that during the test drive. I also found out that the rotors are warped. They're great until you brake at about 70mph (you know, when you REALLY need them) and the car shudders. It isn't super bad, but it's nothing I want to deal with for longer than a few days for obvious safety reasons.

The other thing I found out just this morning was that I don't have keyless entry, which is a huge bummer. When I bought the car, I asked the dealer if they had the keyless fob and they said it must have been lost. After a quick search of the forum, I found that keyless entry on the L model wasn't standard until 2002.... crap.

Aside from the shortcomings, I LOVE MY FORESTER. It handles like a dream, it's fast, it's cavernous on the inside, the GF gave it her seal of approval, and the best part: its mine :icon_biggrin:

Now, who knows a good muffler shop in Portland?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts