Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5 Premium MT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fairly easy head unit install yesterday, I decided to tackle the sub today. Should have been very easy but I couldn't find a route through the firewall.

I have a MT so the usual grommet isn't an option. Tried another round plug to the left, but couldn't feed the wire down to the pedals. Tried going through the drivers side fender instead, but I broke the plastic trim along the drivers side door trying to remove it so I could feed the wire through. At that point I had had enough and gave up.

So frustrating because it would have been a piece of cake if I could just get the wire through. Whatever, I'll take it to Best Buy...they can't do much more damage than I've already done.

Does anyone know where I can find the part number for the plastic trim piece I broke? It's the plastic piece with the wiring running under it (drivers side). Need to order a new one.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Use a wire coat hanger to run through the firewall first then tape the wire/s to it and pull back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a stiff wire, but I kept hitting something hard as son as I got through the firewall. Was tough working blind, with no idea where the wire had to go. I'm sure I could get it, but I was cold and patience was running low.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
there's a large triangular grommet in the pillar, just in front of the door; peel back the fender liner and you'll see it. That comes out near the dash crossbar IIRC, and outside it's an easy snake over the top of the inner fender.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@dpm thanks, do I need to remove my mudflap to get in there? When I snapped my door sill I gave up so I didn't get far enough to actually access the space behind the fender.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Hi, no, you can pop a couple of the fasteners kinda behind the strut, then carefully peel the liner out from behind the fender lip and just belly it out of the way. I pulled the antenna cable for my GPS through this way (mounted it under the wiper grille) and it was quite easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts