Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this hasn't already been posted. I searched but didn't see anything this specific. Here's what I'm wondering.

The topic of timing belts comes up often, and the general consensus seems to be that it's advisable to go ahead and replace water pump, belt tensioner, pulley(s), etc. while you're in there. I would think it might be a great opportunity for the supporting vendors here to put together a timing-belt "kit" that might be made available for a reasonable price to forum members. This might help eliminate the constant hunting around for specific part numbers, and at the same time bring in a little more business to the forum-friendly vendors here. I see such kits listed on eBay, but again, supporting the vendors here and knowing they're already established as being trustworthy is a bonus.

Yes, we could (and it's been recommended to) email the supporting vendors about specific parts, but I think this would make things easier all around if someone could look at the vendor's forum listing and know that, for example, a timing belt kit for a 2004 Forester X Premium with automatic trans. is Kit #2 and includes belt, tensioner, water pump, pulleys, cam seals and everything else that might be recommended. You could even have a kit #2a which includes other belts and hoses.

There are those of us who don't know all the inner workings of the engine, and while a search here can bring up lots of answers, sometimes the answers conflict. We don't necessarily want to trust our own dealer 100%, and to get the information from an objective third party might be valuable.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
If I was with a dealership and on this forum I would have been all over this already. Having a dealers up to date data base would make it easy to get all the part numbers correct for various years. I see it as easy money for them, if they already have it posted as kits and set prices it makes it a convenience for the forum member to do a one stop shop vs hunting all over the place.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
783 Posts
I think that it is a great idea to do it this way but I would probably want to list it in stages as many folks are not ready to spend the large amount it takes to replace everything including pulleys, they get pretty pricey. I would probably do it like this:

T-Belt Kit w/crank seal - $$
Add Water Pump, Thermostat, Gaskets - $$
Add Tensioner - $$
Add Pulleys - $$
Add Belts - $$

I can certainly start formatting posts with OEM parts like this for many things - brakes, head gaskets, vc gaskets, axle boots, etc. Basically a thread with common maintenance parts for you guys.

Thanks,
Jackie

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Jackie,

That would be great. You could then ask the Moderators to LOCK the thread so it doesn't grow and has the information needed right there. You can also edit it from time to time as the prices change and new items/lists are added.

I agree,this would be a great idea ..... but then again , those of us who have talked to Jackie, know how knowledgeable she is, and she already knows what else you should need when you call for parts, and what to suggest.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that would work, Jackie. Maybe even list them in order of importance and/or indicate next to the item whether required, strongly recommended, recommended, etc. Might be nice to get an idea of a shipping cost range, as well. The point being that if everything is in the same place for a specific vehicle, someone will be less likely to order a pulley for an '03, a tensioner for an '06 and a belt for a '99. :icon_confused:

Thanks for even considering something like this. It could be a win-win.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
I think that it is a great idea to do it this way but I would probably want to list it in stages as many folks are not ready to spend the large amount it takes to replace everything including pulleys, they get pretty pricey. I would probably do it like this:

T-Belt Kit w/crank seal - $$
Add Water Pump, Thermostat, Gaskets - $$
Add Tensioner - $$
Add Pulleys - $$
Add Belts - $$

I can certainly start formatting posts with OEM parts like this for many things - brakes, head gaskets, vc gaskets, axle boots, etc. Basically a thread with common maintenance parts for you guys.

Thanks,
Jackie
I like this format, from some one who has been behind a parts counter I don't think you even need to post the individual part numbers just the description and price, this would save you from having to update the post every time SOA superseded a part number, all that needs to be posted is that it is OEM(OEM tensioner, OEM toothed idler...).

I did this for a motorcycle forum years ago and keeping up with superseded part numbers quickly got old, along with the PMs from people asking if they could get the new part number instead.

Jackie,

You could then ask the Moderators to LOCK the thread so it doesn't grow and has the information needed right there. You can also edit it from time to time as the prices change and new items/lists are added......
I think that would work, Jackie. Maybe even list them in order of importance and/or indicate next to the item whether required, strongly recommended, recommended, etc........
Agreed with both of these.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I think that would work, Jackie. Maybe even list them in order of importance and/or indicate next to the item whether required, strongly recommended, recommended, etc.
Agreed... so many people are under the impression that the belt is the only important part to replace. Ask a technician what they think, and they will likely tell you that the idler pulleys are just as important - if not more so - than the belt itself. According to Noah at LIC Motorsports, they've never seen a failed timing belt in 10 years of working on Subies... it's almost always an idler pulley that lets go first.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, and meanwhile, I'm getting replies like this:

The timing belt job cost is $380, and does not include a tensioner or water
pump. The belt tensioner will have to be inspected while the belt is off.
Water pump replacement is very uncommon on these vehicles. Give us a call
if you would like to schedule this service.

On the one hand, they've been good for me and I trust them, but I specifically asked how much more to replace the water pump, etc. while it's getting the timing belt service done. This is what gets frustrating.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Yes, here in the shop a basic timing belt replacement includes a belt in a crank seal. Granted we have the ability to inspect things once we have the belt off and quote additional items to replace and we notify customers that additional parts could be needed ahead of time. We stock all of the additional items so they can be replaced as necessary. We always give customers the option however we understand that adding these extra items can really drive up the price of the job. We also explain that doing such items now can greatly reduce the risk of future issues and even larger costs if something fails.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Another thought on how I list the items...Subaru only has a few different water pumps and timing belts so I could probably list it by engine or turbo/non-turbo. Also, most of the belts, pumps, etc are all the same price depending on turbo or non-turbo cars so I will make up a fitment chart and see what is the best way to list it. I should have it done today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
:icon_redface:

At least as long as I am on top of PM's and shipments! You guys sure have kept me busy this year and I sure do appreciate it!!! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
I just got mine done this week in conjuction with a warranty repair and saved me a ton of money.

My Idler went out first before the timing belt. - LIC Guessed this one without even listening to it. Thanks LIC! It was making a Whuring sound in the vicinity of the AC Pump & Alternator. I posted a Vid in another thread.

While they were in there they found the Timing Belt Tensioner going also, which was also covered under warranty since it was before the manufacturers recommended service at 105k Miles. I was at 99k Miles.

So the only thing I paid out of pocket was the $100 Deductable and Timing Belt.

Looking at my receipt of Parts Prices.
Idler: $78.88
Belt Tensioner: $149.95
Belt: 164.95
Total Parts: $393.78
Total Labor: 358.40

Grand Total: $752.18

If you were to do the whole 105k Service it runs $1,500 which includes the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, seals, oil change, inspection, ect. This is a hefty amount to pay at one time. I wish dealerships had a payment plan for these large services.

I may go to a outside source for the rest of the services recommended for the 105K schedule to bring down cost.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to thank Jackie, as I see that she has posted the relevant info in a thread in the supporting vendors sub-forum. That info is very helpful and will surely come in handy.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Thanks for posting it up! I did the post yesterday, still some stuff to be tweaked and added!

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
A thought on the idlers,

Can we get a description added? Along the lines of "smooth upper", "toothed"....

And possibly add the oil pump O-ring for those that like to reseal the oil pump at the same time, If you really wanted to be nice you could also list a tube of Ultra Gray/Fuji Bond for us too :biggrin: I am all for one stop shopping.

·
Registered
2005 XS
166 Posts
I got a price on Wed, 30 JUN 2010 for a timingbeltwaterpump (it's all one word, isn't it?) replacement. This is from a private, independent shop in town that specializes in Toyota, Honda, Volvo, and Subaru vehicles.

US$1,450 (cough, cough).

Included the timingbeltwaterpump, pulleys, tensioners, gaskets. Don't know if it included thermostat. Hmmm.

I've got just a few more thousand miles (about 4,000) to go before The Big One rolls around.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
According to Noah at LIC Motorsports, they've never seen a failed timing belt in 10 years of working on Subies... it's almost always an idler pulley that lets go first.
Last time I needed a timing belt, it was the timing belt tensioner that went bad. The belt and water pump were just fine.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
well I just ordered the belt from advanced auto, $49,95.

I am going to do the job my self. have replaced several on 2.2 legacys before, so expect it to be about the same.

was looking on here to see if there was any DIY info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts