• A/S

Votes: 8 61.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, money is about to hit the bank, and I need to order these soon.

Basically, I'm torn right down the middle on what to get for my Outback. :N_poke: I do some light-medium offroading, (state park trails, sliding around on gravel and muddy fields, but no crazy stuff) but I also will be taking some long roadtrips soon (14 hr one way trips probably 8 times a year if not more).

Climate is another concern... I'll be going to college in Kansas, where they do get a bit of snow (Just ask Peaty :lol:). All seasons handle better in the dry, tend to be quieter, and do fine in the wet, plus treadlife is longer on some. My current Potenza G019's fail in the snow miserably. A/T tires tend to do better in the cold stuff (at least, the ones on our trucks do), and are more puncture resistant.

So. That's pretty much where I am right now, stuck in the middle. My stock size is 225-60-16, but I can fit 235's too. Who's got suggestions on specific tires, besides the general poll question? Anything here is appreciated.

The tires that I really want are 235-60-16 Yoko AT/S's, but I'm afraid I'll regret that decision about 8hrs into the first trip. :lol:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I feel your pain.

Our driving habits are the same. I spend week ends trying to get muddy and on Monday I could be driving for 8 hours.

My stock Geo's have handled everything I have thrown at it. Could they do better in deep sand..yes. I am not sure if that is worth the trade off when I am on the road this summer driving 14 hours straight.

Tough choice. very tough.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got it narrowed down to three, all 235-60-16. :N_poke: As much as I hate the Altimax RT's that we have on the Foz, I'm leaning towards the Generals. They're the cheapest, and best rated of the bunch. :catfight:

-Yokohama Geolandar AT/S

-General Altimax HP

-Yokohama Avid ENVigor

The ENVigors also look nice, but don't have any survey results yet. Hrmm.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
It is a tough choice but I would go with the All Seasons since it seems to be able to handle the majority/most of your conditions. I am in the same boat (tire choice) for different reasons (fla) and was leaning to 1 tire but have changed my mind thanks to some reviews here and those on tirerack and discount tire. I am leaning towards the Altimax HP's. It just seems like everyone really likes them for the most part. They appear to be a GOOD all around tire, except moderate to heavy snow or ice. With Subaru we have the Symmetrical AWD so they may be better in the white stuff than others have noted. That my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that's exactly where I am. :lol: I'm leaning towards them too... I've pretty much decided on them. Best, and cheapest option of the lot for my uses. I'll have to be a little more careful offroading, but they should do fine. After all, in ~50k miles or so, I'll be swapping again anyway. lol

Just STAY AWAY from the RT's though. Mom and dad put a set on the Forester while I was gone one summer, and I got back to find three punctures in less than a month. The sidewalls are like jelly, and they're horribly noisy after about 10k miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not based on my own experience, but based on my research of other people's experiences, I'd go with the Yokohama AT-S.
They apparently have pretty good road manners (especially compared to the General Grabbers you mentioned), although obviously not going to be quite as good as a dedicated on-road tire. And then you get the obvious benefit of the off-road ability.

edit: oh, nevermind. Reading again, I see you're looking at the General Altimax, not the General Grabber. My bad. :icon_redface: I'd still take a good hard look at the Yokohama AT-S though.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Gave it some thought last night.

GO with A/S tires. They can handle the off roading you/we do and will be much better on those long road trips.

Like both the Yoko Avid and General UHP. Look for a sale.

I plan on keeping a cookie jar in my garage for my spare change. I will try and save up for an off road set of wheels.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The altimax HP seems pretty decent on my friend's foz.

The general exclaim UHP was pretty decent on gravel, but quite mushy.

I'd honestly go with the continental extremecontact DWS over just about any other AS tire on the market. They handle great, have good grip, ride well, do well offroad (at least the old version did!), and were as good in snow imo as nonstudded studdable tires (except braking performance).

I also really liked the goodyear assurance tripletred, they're great all around, but a bit on the pricey side.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,163 Posts
If you seriously want tires that will be better in the snow, do not go wider than stock. Likewise, in any kind of muddy conditions, you generally don't want a wider tire.

I swapped my 215/65x16's (on an '09) to 215/70x16's, in large part because I wanted a larger diameter and better snow performance. (I got some BFG Long Trail T/A Tourings which seem to be wearing really well.)

A nice compromise for you might be a 225/65x16" tire. Not a big selection, but it is increasing because it's a stock size on the newer Chrysler minivans.

George

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
A/S will do for light roading. The only thing that has ever stopped my 60$ A/S tires was getting hi centered in snow (Kumho KR21), they have served me well in NY snow and rain.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts

I'd honestly go with the continental extremecontact DWS over just about any other AS tire on the market. They handle great, have good grip, ride well, do well offroad (at least the old version did!), and were as good in snow imo as nonstudded studdable tires (except braking performance).

I also really liked the goodyear assurance tripletred, they're great all around, but a bit on the pricey side.
I put the Continental Extreme Winter Contact on for winter, and I was so impressed that I'm thinking of getting the Extreme Contact for the rest of the year. Not only did the Extreme Winter Contacts take me anywhere I wanted to go, but they were quiet, and handled decently on dry road.

David

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
DUDE EASY CHOICE!!

Geolander A/T-S FTW!!!!!

Biggest reason? The A/T-S will handle rocks better. Even one bad placed small rock can slice an all season sidewall with ease. That'd be expensive!!

Ok, so which one do I vote for... LOL. The A/T-S isn't really a true A/T tire...

Then get your butt out here!!!

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ I won't be going that often during the school year, I don't think. Gonna be busy!

If you seriously want tires that will be better in the snow, do not go wider than stock. Likewise, in any kind of muddy conditions, you generally don't want a wider tire.

I swapped my 215/65x16's (on an '09) to 215/70x16's, in large part because I wanted a larger diameter and better snow performance. (I got some BFG Long Trail T/A Tourings which seem to be wearing really well.)

A nice compromise for you might be a 225/65x16" tire. Not a big selection, but it is increasing because it's a stock size on the newer Chrysler minivans.

George
Thanks George!

I thought about 225-65's, but don't want to fill out the wells much more than they already are (would rub under full articulation). 225 is the stock width on the Outback, so I may just keep with 225's. Not entirely sure just yet. 235 isn't that much wider (I went from 245's to 265's on my truck, which was fairly noticeable).

Any idea how the DWS's wear? I need to get 40k out of them. Back to TireRack I go. :lol:

DUDE EASY CHOICE!!

Geolander A/T-S FTW!!!!!

Biggest reason? The A/T-S will handle rocks better. Even one bad placed small rock can slice an all season sidewall with ease. That'd be expensive!!

Ok, so which one do I vote for... LOL. The A/T-S isn't really a true A/T tire...

Then get your butt out here!!!
LOL. I do plan on coming out there sometime. :biggrin: It is not a true A/T tire, but it's close. I mean, the Destination A/T's on my truck aren't really either, and if that is the case, neither are the BFG T/A KO's. lol

You can get swampers to fit on this thing, I've seen someone do it before. I think they're 15" though.

ANYWAY, my dream setups aside, I think I'll be sticking with a regular all season. :lol: My nearly bald Potenzas haven't been sliced open yet, and that's on our property with some ugly jagged rocks.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Haven't sliced em yet? Hehe I think you're pushing your luck! But, I only responded what I would do.

You're welcome here anytime.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The new extremecontact DWS are rated for 50,000 miles, compared to the 30,000 of the old ones. Driving hard I easily made it to 30,000 on the old style. I'd say they're probably the best bet, especially for a daily driver.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are they specifically the DWS model, or are they just called the 'Conti ExtremeContact' now? That's all I see in my size(s). :confused:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Are they specifically the DWS model, or are they just called the 'Conti ExtremeContact' now? That's all I see in my size(s). :confused:
contiextremecontact are the old style, but still made in some sizes. The "continental Extremecontact" is available in DW (dry, wet) or DWS (dry, wet, snow) and is the newer version. I loved the old one, my favorite tire still.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aww, they don't make them in my size. Grrrr. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts