Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching and reading up on the FAQs and stickies on different forester suspension set ups. I've narrowed it down to three choices and i'm curious what peoples opinion or experiences are with these. I'm thinking swapping in an sti suspension, cusco forester specific coilovers, or stance forester specific coilvers. I've done lots of reading and searching but I am a newbie when it comes to suspension. So if anyone has any ideas/opinions please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Standard spring rates on the Stance coilovers are alot higher than the STi springs, how firm a ride can you handle? How are the roads where you live?

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard spring rates on the Stance coilovers are alot higher than the STi springs, how firm a ride can you handle? How are the roads where you live?

Stan
The roads are not too bad where I live and I don't mind a very firm ride. I'm curious as to how well an sti suspension will be vs the coilovers. I know both set ups drop it nice and the coilovers are adjustable. But will I get the same handling with either set up

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
I think unless you are tracking the car under same conditions, handling can be subjective. I feel more confident in my car now in the twisties on softer STi springs than I did on lower and stiffer springs before.

What are you looking for from coilovers, just ride-height adjustability, or being able to also tweak rebound or maybe even compression? Some coilovers are also rebuildable, which is nice. I think both of the coilovers you mention also come with camber plates, which is also nice.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im looking for obviously a lower look but also an increase in handling as well. I know i can get the sti suspension for 1/3 the cost of coil overs and if they handle as well as coil overs on the forester then id rather do that just to have some money for more power mods. Will i get a similar ride with the sti suspension? and if so would i have to have a camber adjustment with the sti suspension?

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
I'm running OEM STi springs with gutted WRX struts and Koni inserts. The ride quality is very nice, same if not better than that of a stock STi. There is plenty of suspension travel for less-than-ideal roads we have here. I am able to adjust rebound, but compression is static. I am not using camber plates. For a daily driven street car that will see some track, I think this setup is very nice. Handling is very nice for it being a Forester, STis will always have an advantage due to better drivetrain (torsen diffs, DCCD). In capable hands (not mine), I believe my car can do pretty well on the track. If you were to buy the inserts new and springs/donor struts used, you could have a similar setup for under $800 -- $600 for Konis from tirerack, $100 for donor struts (I got a set for $50) and $100 for STi springs (I got a set for $60 or so). Ride height will not be adjustable, but you can raise it a bit using tophat spacers.

You can probably get a set of '04 STi struts with OEM springs for $200-$300. It should be very similar to my setup, and IMO for the money is very hard to beat.

Good coilovers will give you more adjustability. They will be in the $2,000 range. Out of the box, the springs they will come with will probably be much stiffer, depending on the valving this may mean a harsher ride on bumpy roads. I would love to try a nice set of coilovers on my car, but have not had a chance to do that yet due to cost.

Stan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts