Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm awaiting delivery of my 2020 Forester this weekend, but I didn't need to be sold on Subaru. I have over 147,000 miles on my 1998 Forester, the first year they were made, and it still runs strong. Alas, there is a gathering storm of maintenance needed (clutch, brakes, dashboard lights, power steering hoses) which together add up to almost $2500. I can't see sinking that kind of money into a car that's old enough to drink.

Especially when I love the feature set of the 2019/2020s so much. I just want a new car, dammit.

Subarus run in my family. My dad had one of the first Legacys. My sister had a 2006 Forester. My other sister traded in her Outback for a new Crosstrek in August. My cousin put over 350,000 miles on her Outback. Our driveway at Thanksgiving looked like a Subaru ad.

I wish I could find a home for my 1998, because it's still a sweet ride. However the Blue Book on it is under $500 which means nobody will want to replace the hoses or clutch. I hope the Subaru gods will forgive me for abandoning one of their own while it still runs 100% strong and reliable.

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
368 Posts
What's your plans with the 98? I'm sure someone out there wouldn't shy away from wanting it!
I'd happily take it and put it back to life! (Minus being on the opposite coast).

My 98 Forester with 263k miles, sold for 1,550$ with rust and abuse... The motor only had 18k miles on it, after a valve job, head gaskets, and timing kit..
(if I knew then, what I know now...) I would of put a different motor in it, out of someone's part out car! Lol..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to trade it in to the dealer, in exchange for a roof rack or a Fosgate stereo upgrade or something like that. Ignominious end for a loyal friend. But as much as I love my little Forester, it's 21 years old and has 147,000 miles on it. $500 blue book is probably accurate.

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
368 Posts
It's just a baby! (147k miles)..
Hopefully they show you Love for it!

Most likely, it ends up on a trailer and going to auction.. where someone will buy it and put it back on the road.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to cherish your thought that the car gets auctioned off, somebody fixes the clutch and burned-out light bulbs, and it gets driven another 150,000 miles. My local Subaru shop says that's not unusual (and my cousin did it). I'd MUCH rather hold that thought than think about a perfectly good, 100% reliable, excellent-driving, well-designed vehicle being sent to the junk yard over a brake job. I feel guilty about abandoning my '98, but it's not my fault -- they made the 2019s (7th generation) so attractive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts