Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I completed a "modest" 4-wheel brake job on my FXT this weekend.

Parts Used

Centric brake rotors (TireRack)
ATE Premium One pads (TireRack)
G2 Brake Caliper Paint
Complete brake fluid flush

Background

After doing my usual exhaustive research, I selected the above parts for the job. Since I'm a pretty conservative driver (the original brakes which I am now finally replacing lasted 58,000 miles), I decided quiet operation and low dust were more important to me than the maximum braking performance. I ordered the pads and rotors from Tirerack and they delivered in their usual speedy form.

The Centric rotors came with a nice black coating on the hub section and in the vanes of the rotor. The fit and finish is excellent and they include the 8 X 1.25 tapped holes for dislodging the rotors from the hub assembly, just like the factory rotors.

The ATE pads looked good and came with integral shims.

The cost of the pads and rotors (for all 4 wheels) shipped from TireRack was just north of $300.00, so no complaints there either.

I've lost count of the number of brake jobs I have done over the last 30 years and there was nothing out of the ordinary with this one.

Since the calipers were originally painted silver when the car was new - and since the paint Subaru puts on the calipers is all of about 3 molecules thick - I decided to paint them while I had it all apart.

For the calipers I purchased the G2 brake kit in silver. This is a 2-part paint that uses a catalyst to complete the hardening. When fully cured about 24 hours after mixing, the product produces a very durable, high-gloss finish. The extra paint left in the can hardened into a rubbery consistency. The paint is pretty thick and dried to an attractive, high-gloss silver metallic finish. There's more than enough paint to do several coats on four calipers.

For the caliper brackets where I was concerned that the thickness of the G2 product may effect close tolerances, I simply painted the brackets with RustOleum high-heat silver engine paint.

The toughest part of the painting project was cleaning the calipers and brackets. I picked up a few stainless steel wire brushes at Home Depot and a few cans of brake clean from the auto parts store and that did the trick.

Assembly of the pads and rotors was straight forward, all parts fit just as they should.

For the brake flush and refill, I used an automotive syphon pump/tank that I purchased a few years ago from a local auto parts store (see first photo below). Using a short piece of rubber hose, I connected the syphon to the bleeder port, pumped down the tank to create suction and then open the bleeder port to pull the fresh fluid through. It worked like a charm. For the brake fluid I stuck with the standard DOT 3 stuff from the local Subaru parts dept.

As expected, the resulting brake job did not result in any major performance gains over the stock brakes. But the new brakes are quiet, grip well when cold, modulate well and seem to dust less than the OEM pads. With any luck, I won't have to worry about another "brake job" until the odometer hits 100K.

· Registered
2003 Forester XS
25 Posts
I'm curious why anyone would paint their calipers a silver color when everyone knows that a dark, matte color allows the heat to dissipate faster?

Are appearances that important?

· Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
795 Posts
The silver looks nice. They look like spotless factory painted calipers. Nothing wrong with that.

I really tried to get some ATE rotors that are treated, but could not get stock in time. Now I have to paint my rotor hats to prevent rusting as they're already setting in. :S

· Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious why anyone would paint their calipers a silver color when everyone knows that a dark, matte color allows the heat to dissipate faster?
Yes, appearances (bling) only. They were silver from the factory but the factory paint job was mighty thin.

TireRack did not even list the ATE rotors, but the Centrics seem to be fine. The black coating on them is attractive and appears to be more durable than a rattle-can paint job (but time will tell).

Dusting from the ATE PremiumOne pads is indeed less than the factory pads and the brakes are seating-in nicely, with plenty of pedal modulation and no noise. I have not jumped on them hard yet, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts