Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out on the lake this past sunday to try out my old worn winter tires.

Subaru = AWD = Winter you need to drive on the lake but everyone already knows that....

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=51159A3F-1DB5-4C4B-A7CF-1C68D23EC4C1
Ok, woohoo, not all that excyting.

Not so much fun with no traction, I wondered what it would be like with a better set of tires.

Hello Michelin T3F tires :D

So I went back this afternoon with the T3F tires and wow!! What a difference!! It's almost like driving on a gravel road.

http://media.putfile.com/Forester-T3F-tires

http://media.putfile.com/Forester-T3F-lake

Now thats more like it!! :)

Adam
Montreal, Canada

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have no good way to make this sound. But your vehicle looks like it's wearing prosthetics. That's so cool! (And I'm in no way dissing those who require prosthetics)

S

·
0 Posts
You're lucky. We have too much snow and too much slush here, so I've not been out on the lake yet. There is a ploughed road on a nearby lake which I will head out to soon, just to say I've been out on the ice this year.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
I don't get it, those Michelins look so thin and whimpy. How can they be good in the snow and ice? If anyone undestands the dynamics please explain.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
higgledy said:
I don't get it, those Michelins look so thin and whimpy. How can they be good in the snow and ice? If anyone undestands the dynamics please explain.
Umm... did you see the studs on those puppies?? Plus, thinner tires = better in the snow because they put more weight on a smaller surface to cut through the snow rather to slide around on top of it.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Umm... did you see the studs on those puppies?? Plus, thinner tires = better in the snow because they put more weight on a smaller surface to cut through the snow rather to slide around on top of it.
Exactly.

When you have a fat tyre you are spreading the weight out over a winder area, think of it as snow shoes. The thinner tires will put the weight of the vehicle down until it is on something solid be it ice or the road surface. The studs will cut into the harder surface wheras the fat tire will jusst sit on top the snow and will not gain traction.

I have always wondered why they even offer snow tires in anything wider than a 195.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Hondaslayer said:
Exactly.
I have always wondered why they even offer snow tires in anything wider than a 195.
<Looks for picture of modern Corvette on 195 series tires>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Roo said:
<Looks for picture of modern Corvette on 195 series tires>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I ever win the lottery I am sooooo rallying a Ferrari

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
where in Montreal do u do this I'm out there ever week I want to have fun 2

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
adamsm said:
The video was taken in Hudson, just west of Montreal.
I knew it was in that area, I'm in the sevice stop at exit 17 on the hwy 40 every week, working not playing, I deliver to the pizza hut there. maybe I'll get the tractor trailer out ther for some fun :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts