Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'99 S-turbo
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin' all!
T'other day, the missus managed to have a minor collision in Sainsbury's car park.
A silly woman with comedy (guess what) coloured hair tried to overtake her as she was reversing into a parking space.
The other woman is trying to blame Mrs Nixxon, but wants to resolve this "quickly and amicably". This appears to involve not telling her insurance company, but demanding the details of ours...
To complicate matters, the car she was driving is German registered. Perhaps she only has the required international minimum third party insurance?
Is the missus legally required to disclose her Insurance details, or is it up to the other party's insurers to ascertain and contact ours?
The da,mage to t'missus's sar is slight (scuffed bumper) as it is to the other woman's (scraped door, one panel), and I can't help feeling she's making a mountain out of a molehill.
Her reluctance to involve her insurance Co may also be due to the fact that while they were parked up, exchanging details, some confused old chap drove into the other side of her car, due to her poor positioning.
Anyone know the score?
Ta, Nick

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
80 Posts
I wouldn't give her any information... maybe a phone number and thats it. where is this Car Park? Sounds like a bad place to park! If your willing to swallow the damage I would just walk away from it all, and never return to that crazy old car park.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I used to live in germany and it can be a real ball ache.

if she does not produce insurance documents you need to call the police. the police would be on the scene straight away if it had happened in germany!

to be honest, it will be long and winded for your insurance company to chase up a german insurance company.

however, here is my experience of foreign / european insurance claims.....
I crashed twice in germany ( not my fault). T-Boned on both occasions, had photo evidence and everything....... ended up claiming on my own insurance on both occasions, and i was with reputable compainies (Zurich and AXA)

If you ever see foreign trucks / cars on our roads (especially polish), the same applies.... get the flock away from them because if you have an accident with them you will end up claiming on your own insurance even if it wasnt your fault.

I dont mean to sound negative but its just the way it is, and it sucks!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
just out of interest.... is the other driver british but driving a german reg car?

if so, you may want to find out how long the car has been in the country. IIRC its allowed to stay here 6 months before it becomes an illegal car (driving on these roads without paying road tax etc).... it could get messy!!!

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
foreign folk and their foreign reistered cars!!

We get shed loads of them round here being surrounded by foreign footballers and their orange coloured foreign wives in foreign registered cars and i've told the missus if you see one coming towards you get the feck out of the way, same goes for boy/girl racers!

One of my customers is the wife of a foreign footballer and she's told me before that her insurance is in italy and she has minimum cover to drive here!

If I was you I would be asking myself a few questions.

1. who's fault was it?
2. is this other driver trying to get you to pay, because they have little or no insurance
3. is it worth the hassle to try sorting yourself or let your insurance sort it
4. is you no claims bonus protected?
5. do you have legal cover on your insurance?

In my experience, i'd go straight to my insurance and let them sort it out. Thats what you pay them for. If this woman decides to take it further then your insurance is there to help.

just my 2cents!

·
Registered
'99 S-turbo
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just out of interest.... is the other driver british but driving a german reg car?

if so, you may want to find out how long the car has been in the country. IIRC its allowed to stay here 6 months before it becomes an illegal car (driving on these roads without paying road tax etc).... it could get messy!!!
She was British, from oop noorth, driving a German registered car. She had a German sirname , so was probably married to a German.
If German Ins cos are feet draggers, no wonder she doesn't want them involved.
We're happy to forget the whole thing, but She's been on the phone twice today....
despite tellingb her to go through her insurers.

·
Registered
2002 MY03 XS
136 Posts
Have to agree with mykp, you pay good money for your insurance, so why not get some value for your hard earned and let them sort it out. As long as you've got all the other womans details, they shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
german insurers arnt feet draggers, they are pretty efficient, but with all insurance companies when it comes to dealing with a claim that involves a foreign insurance company nobody wants to know. by all acounts its almost impossible to "go after them"

germans are like the yanks, they like to sue each other.... they are constantly in court!

Eg:

if you walk accross a busy road, they will aim at you.... knock you down and then sue you for damages to their car because you should have been using a zebra crossing!... seriously!

right now the leaves are falling off the trees, if you slip on them and break a bone, the nearest residence to the wet leaves is liable! (within reason)

so german insurance is pretty good!.... seems to me the lady is not insured or is trying to hide something.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Mike is right though... we pay stupid amounts of car insurance for a reason... they (apparently) take the stress out of dealing with it.

there is a section on the claim form that says:

Could either driver have done anything to avoid the accident?.... what ever you do dont write "travelled by bus"... they just dont see the funny side!

·
Registered
'99 S-turbo
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
foreign folk and their foreign reistered cars!!

We get shed loads of them round here being surrounded by foreign footballers and their orange coloured foreign wives in foreign registered cars and i've told the missus if you see one coming towards you get the feck out of the way, same goes for boy/girl racers!

One of my customers is the wife of a foreign footballer and she's told me before that her insurance is in italy and she has minimum cover to drive here!

If I was you I would be asking myself a few questions.

1. who's fault was it?
2. is this other driver trying to get you to pay, because they have little or no insurance
3. is it worth the hassle to try sorting yourself or let your insurance sort it
4. is you no claims bonus protected?
5. do you have legal cover on your insurance?

In my experience, i'd go straight to my insurance and let them sort it out. Thats what you pay them for. If this woman decides to take it further then your insurance is there to help.

just my 2cents!
You've just reinforced my view of Cheshire!
You're right, despite an inevitable rise in costs(even with protected bonus), I think once she knows our insurer has been informed, she'll soon change her tune.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
You've just reinforced my view of Cheshire!
You're right, despite an inevitable rise in costs(even with protected bonus), I think once she knows our insurer has been informed, she'll soon change her tune.
I live within walking distance of Mr Chesterfield sideboard himself, david dickinson and believe me when I say both mr & mrs are very orange. :shrug: and some of the people visiting our local sainsburys are more orange than the big sainsbury sign outside :crazy:

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
404 Posts
I would avoid getting the insurance company involved if all there is is a scuffed bumper. Have the lady who hit your wife's car hand over some cash, I would wager around £500-600 should be enough to have a shop remove the bumper, repaint it, and reinstall it. We had a similar thing happen to our car in a car park here in the states, but it was a hit and run and we never learned who scraped the paint off the bumper of our car. We paid $770 to put it right.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
If the other party is trying to blame the Mrs and you both feel that blame should apply the other way then you should definitely involve the insurance companies.

I believe after an accident your are obliged by law/statute/code to disclose insurance info if required...this obviously applies to both parties.

At worse it sounds like a 50/50...but obviously you should be pushing for more the other way.

Rich

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,242 Posts
A similar thing happened to me years ago, but I lost out because the guilty party did not inform their insurers of the accident and my insurers could therefore nor pursue it. The lesson I learned is that the first thing you do before anything else is get a witness.

I'm pretty certain there is no obligation to exchange insurance details. AFAIK you are only obliged to give the other party your name and address.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts