Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've booked the Foz in for a remap at AFP on the 9th of next month and have a few questions, I'm also looking for some advice is possible.

Firstly I've bought a 3 port BCS and 290lph fuel pump from scoobyworx.com.
Pump fitted and all is good.
I've fitted the 3 port and wondered if the restrictor pill has to be replaced and where if so?
Also I hope I've got the hoses plumbed correctly as I used a diagram online at Scoobynet for the Prodrive 3 port BCS

Secondly I bought an H&S decat 3"-2.5" downpipe and wondered if by fitting it with the above and having to do a 190 mile tripe down to Edinburgh; would I have to stay off boost?:frown2: I'll have the chance to fit it this weekend or do you think I should leave it to the last weekend before I venture down the road to AFP?

Third.... I really don't wish to wrap the DP as I've had a couple of bad experiences with corrosion after wrapping stainless headers and a Prodrive sports cat on my last sf5. What would you do? I don't want to be spending £300 out on the DP for it to crack or sound like a sewing machine.

Fourthly. Is it wise to take the restictor pill and some lengths of hose with me when I go and also to leave off my turbo heat shield (I bought the Perrin stainless one) so the wastegate arm can be adjusted if needed?

I'm a virgin when it comes to remapping so I'm on the one hand excited as fk and nervous as hell on the other.

All advice is grateful, will be appreciated and also may calm the anxiety.
Cheers
Andy.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
Probably best to leave the 3 port plumbing until at Andy's.

It is possible to map with or without the pill. It is located in the short pipe connected to the turbo air outlet and the pipe is marked usually with a white dot. (Shown yellow below)

Reactions: Lockheed

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Don, I have actually been reading that cobb link and found it a wee bit hard to follow being so long, however I've already swapped out all the stock hoses for silicone last weekend and have fitted the 3 port too:icon_redface:.Only as I knew I had to do a bit of modding as had to fit it on the other side of the retaining bracket due to one of the ports nearly touching the strut tower, thus not allowing me to fit the hose and would result in a kink.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
I would electronic mail AF and ask his advice , stay off boost as you know . don't worry too much mapping should be a relatively gentle process , I always stick new oil and filter before a remap this way you have done the best you can against hard pulls on the dyno also pump your tyres up to an even pressure all round and if your chasing figures give the tyres an extra couple of psi .

Have confidence imo AF is the 3rd best mapper in the country after Paul Blamire and Pat Herborn .
But possibly the most arrogant , a wee Scottish guy with small man syndrome who sounds like mrs doubtfire .>:)

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye Will. I spoke to Andy and his advice was to stay off boost...How I'm gona cope with 190 miles off boost I don't know.

What you guys think about the SS DP situation?

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have confidence imo AF is the 3rd best mapper in the country after Paul Blamire and Pat Herborn .
But possibly the most arrogant , a wee Scottish guy with small man syndrome who sounds like mrs doubtfire .>:)
Pahahaha hopefully he'll not be arrogant with me as I can be a p1$$ taking w****r in those types of situations. I just can't help it :grin2:

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
Just a couple of cents from across the pond.

I recently installed a 3 port boost control solenoid before having my car mapped and my tuner had me remove the restrictor pill prior to the tuning.

As to the downpipe question. I think it is doubtful that it will cause you any grief to install it before hand as long as you take it easy. That flashing check engine light will let you know if you are getting too aggressive. I ran my old Impreza with a VF39 and a full 3" setup for about a month without the proper map and it was happy as long as I didn't put my right foot down too hard. Which is obviously not an easy thing to do.

As far as wrapping the DP goes, I'm of the school that it is relatively useless to do so unless you are putting down some serious power. It really seems to be more of liability than a boon on a street car, for the reasons you have mentioned. I have never wrapped the headers or downpipes on any of my cars for what that's worth to you. My cars have to put up with rain, snow, dirt roads, salt, and massive temperature swings from season to season. Probably much the same conditions yours sees. It always seemed dicey to me.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah Murray that's guttering. He seemed pretty helpful when I emailed him and rang his mobile a couple of times leaving polite messages and explaining how my Foz was still mapped for Japanese fuel and was as if it were a fresh import.
£480 for the pleasure of him doing the map though I'm guessing maybe persuaded him to take me on...Or was it just I had the same name hehehe. A three week wait there too was a bit of a pain. Mind you at least I get to spend a couple of days in a city I grew up in and also take the lady to the zoo on her birthday.

Yup I'm a typical romantic bloke; getting my car mapped on her birthday and treating her to a night in a premier inn and a trip to the zoo.0:) Oh I also bought her a robot hoover that she can use via Alexa >:)

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
1,069 Posts
I wouldn't wrap the DP either. I honestly didn't know that people did. I can see wrapping the top near the turbo but the rest is headed out of the engine bay anyway. Makes me wonder if turbo heat blankets cover that top portion of the DP? As you can tell i don't know a ton about this. Just got my XT recently and run a cobb catted DP...not wrapped of course.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aye I had a blanket on the top of the Prodrive sports cat to turbo manifold after the fiasco with corrosion on a previous Foz.
I think I'll go down that road again.... The wrapping was just to quieten her down a bit, although the sewing machine noise was more than likely the SS headers.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
[Yup I'm a typical romantic bloke; getting my car mapped on her birthday and treating her to a night in a premier inn and a trip to the zoo. Oh I also bought her a robot hoover that she can use via Alexa
]

Sounds pretty classy to me! My lady would love that!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,698 Posts
Brilliant post and not only interesting and humorous but informative. I’m getting a bigger inter cooler and decatting and the mapper has said he can get rd of the CEL at the time of the map. So this post is of great interest to me. Don KOPS usual sound advice. Be really interested to hear how you get on. Very best of luck and I think you are a top man taking your other half away whilst you get your map.

Good luck.

ATVB.

Alan Mac

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Alan, much appreciated buddy. I managed to get the DP on today and noticed the actuator is not adjustable so fitted the new heat shield and all seems sweet as a nut.
I'll post the results of the map asap... I can't wait and I'm quite excited.

All the best pal.
Andy.

P. S. Oh yes... Don is the mac daddy and this site has a superb contributer with him amongst a few others.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Top man, my dp is being worked on as it’s an import, should be on next week. Then remap on!!

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
The really great news is, STI Intercooler found plus Down pipe. It’s being fitted this Friday.

Remap Monday 15th April so we should both be happy bunnies by then!

ATVB

Alan MaC

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,584 Posts
Personally, i would ceramically coat the downpipe to help with emissions when cold and make it look better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts