Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does installing an after market DP make exhaust noise a lot louder? Does it change the tone at all? Is there a big difference between a catted DP and catless one? What about a catless UP vs the stock catted one?

Are all midpipes with a resonator pretty much the same? Just difference in manufacture qualities?

Has anyone heard of a Blitz Nur Spec S and Greddy Ti-C? I want to find out the difference in sound between the two.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
I just installed a full turbo back exhaust on my friends wrx last week and it sounds great. He went catless with his setup because it was cheaper than the catted down pipe and he wanted a more free flowing setup. If you decide to go this route (catted or catless) you will need some sort of engine management, such as a pro tune or access port. With having a full turbo back exhaust you unlock some serious power (with engine management :p) and your car will sound like an 18 wheeler :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for answers on exhaust sound/loudness. I'm running an AP already.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Obviously, most of us love the Subaru boxer sound, I used to love it as well. My dog can hear a Subaru with an exhaust 3 blocks away and starts looking around for it.

I got sick of the sound, I can honestly do without the burble. I know, it's blasphemy coming form a Subaru owner lol. Any straight-through exhaust I've heard brings out the burble and amplifies the other exhaust sounds, it becomes deep and growly -- really cool most of the time, but sometimes you want to "turn it off", but can't. Catless downpipes make the car louder, but the biggest issue I have with them is they make the car smell -- following a catless car is no fun. None of this is to say I'm against exhausts, I won't be selling my 3" MadDad, I just won't be running it 100% of the time.

Stan

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Downpipe with high flow cat alone isn't going to make much of a difference. Don't know about catless as there's really no point.

Can't see where a preturbo cat would affect sound levels or quality at all. Midpipe not designed for the Forester is where you get the annoying drone at least to some...

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
To be 100% honest I personally would much rather go catless, it saves money in your pocket as long as its legal where you live. The smell isnt bad at all, it kinda smells like a street bike. I followed my friend today who is fully catless and it didnt smell bad at all and it sounded excellent.

I know this hasnt been mentioned yet but heres food for thought, if you still want to retain that subie rumble DONT get equal length headers. The equal length headers make the car sound way too raspy and high pitched. Everyone has their own preference but I love the burble :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
To be 100% honest I personally would much rather go catless, it saves money in your pocket as long as its legal where you live. The smell isnt bad at all, it kinda smells like a street bike. I followed my friend today who is fully catless and it didnt smell bad at all and it sounded excellent.

I know this hasnt been mentioned yet but heres food for thought, if you still want to retain that subie rumble DONT get equal length headers. The equal length headers make the car sound way too raspy and high pitched. Everyone has their own preference but I love the burble :icon_biggrin:
I had equal length headers on my old car. Sounded pretty good to me :shrug:

An aftermarket downpipe with a cat will add a bit to the sound, but not much. The biggest thing you'll notice is the turbo sounding more prominent. Not much else.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
I had equal length headers on my old car. Sounded pretty good to me :shrug:
Im not saying they are bad but putting equal length headers on a subaru totally kills the boxer rumble. I like pulling up to a gas station and having people ask if I have a v8 under the hood :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
i just did a cobb catted dp and spt exhuast. did both mods all at once. Sounds great, imo i don't think its going to get to much louded with just a catted dp.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply guys. I recently replaced my TurboXS axleback with Blitz Nur Sepc S axleback, and I didn't find it very loud at all, it got quieter in fact.

I have all the parts for a complete exhaust swap, I just want to hear from who have done this to see if I should go for a louder axleback, or will things get louder after a catless DP.

So it looks like the consensus is that it gets just a little bit louder, hmm...

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
If I where in your shoes I would do a full 3" cat back first before getting the dp. Get rid of that stock mid pipe! lol

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have all the parts already... B&B catless downpipe, WBR 3'' midpipe, and two axlebacks. I don't think 3'' catback makes too much difference besides noise.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I was tuned with a 2.5" exhaust and VF43, with a 3" I don't see much difference. Next time I'll be retuning the car I'll have an EL header and 3" exhaust, we'll see if it makes a difference on the butt dyno. I'm sure the header will change the drivability and 3" exhaust should be easier to tune with.

After the tune I'll be switching back to the STi catback. I put it on last week and am enjoying it alot.

Stan

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
you guys are correct, not much power difference but with having a 3" exhaust spool up is a few hundred rpm's sooner :biggrin:

Try the borla uel header. flow is smoother and you retain the rumble :woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update. I finally got around to it and installed a bellmouth 3'' catless DP + WBR 3'' midpipe, and put the Nur Spec S back.

The whole system is much much louder now. The sound is very nice, very deep rumble. Only problem is it drones at around 2.5K RPMs. I'm not sure if anything can be done about this. Since the WBR midpipe is already resonated, and I've sound deadened my car.

Though I did use 2 2.5'' gaskets since I didn't have any 3'', not sure how much difference that would make.

So to answer my own question, yes an aftermarket DP seems to make my exhaust quite a bit louder :lol:

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
19 Posts
i hve a xt 09; live in PERU. just waiting for my spt catback. do somebody know the diameter of this catback? i want to use a catless downpipe but want to know witch catless downpipe will fit to work with the spt catback.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Just an update. I finally got around to it and installed a bellmouth 3'' catless DP + WBR 3'' midpipe, and put the Nur Spec S back.

The whole system is much much louder now. The sound is very nice, very deep rumble. Only problem is it drones at around 2.5K RPMs. I'm not sure if anything can be done about this. Since the WBR midpipe is already resonated, and I've sound deadened my car.

Though I did use 2 2.5'' gaskets since I didn't have any 3'', not sure how much difference that would make.

So to answer my own question, yes an aftermarket DP seems to make my exhaust quite a bit louder :lol:
Nice tbe FTW congrats on the new setup! The drone is coming from the dp but i dont think there is much you can do about it. Although I have heard of ppl heat wrapping their dp to cure this but imho I dont think it would do much but burn a hole in your wallet.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.

The DP is wrapped with exhaust wraps.

I thought drones generally come from midpipe/axleback. The drone is from the rear section on my car. I've never heard DP gives you drones. Are you sure about this?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
If you think about it there isnt really anything between you and the fire wall besides the firewall its self. Imprezas and Foresters are generally a noisy car anyways due to the lack of insulation used in them. The cat on the factory dp almost acts as if its a resonator even though its not. I bet that in a few weeks after you have some carbon build up the drone wont be too bad. A simple solution for now is to turn up the tunes LOL. All in all these are "rally inspired" vehicles :icon_wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts