Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forrester S Turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I picked up by Forester last weekend and I am absolutely overjoyed. I previous had a MG ZT-T but it was sliding all over the place and is this weather the Forester has been great. Its a 52 plate Turbo with 55k on the clock.

Now firstly let me say I have very little knowledge about cars so I apologise if I ask stupid questions or ask for an extended explanation about something!

My first question is with regards to tyres. I have the standard tyres for the Subaru and I was looking at maybe upgrading the tyres to something larger. Now if I do that I take it I will need new alloys and then something like 18" tyres?

My next question is about modding the car. What are the best chips out there and if I do boost the power will it completely kill the fuel economy?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Plenty of alloys to choose from

whats standard on yours? 16"?

If you use the search function there are plenty of threads, Impreza alloys fit, however you may need to use spacers as the ofset is different

Chips are best served with fish

If you go down the modding route it there maybe some gains in economy but inevitably its going to cost you, otherwise whats the point!!

Easy upgrades can be made in the handling department and braking, you can make it breath easier, and then you can start thinking of exhaust, turbo, and then mapping (rather than a chip)

loads of info on here

just feel free to ask away

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
i take it you (need ) new tires cos the ones you have really neeed changing eh!!! after the new 18" wheels and tires you will need to lower your foz??? .Welcome to the forum from the Isle of Man

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
Hi everyone,

I picked up by Forester last weekend and I am absolutely overjoyed. I previous had a MG ZT-T but it was sliding all over the place and is this weather the Forester has been great. Its a 52 plate Turbo with 55k on the clock.

Now firstly let me say I have very little knowledge about cars so I apologise if I ask stupid questions or ask for an extended explanation about something!

My first question is with regards to tyres. I have the standard tyres for the Subaru and I was looking at maybe upgrading the tyres to something larger. Now if I do that I take it I will need new alloys and then something like 18" tyres?

My next question is about modding the car. What are the best chips out there and if I do boost the power will it completely kill the fuel economy?

Thanks in advance :)
'chips' aren't really the way to go with these beauties matey :biggrin:
you are looking at de cats, re maps , ecu upgrades , bigger turbos , induction , suspension etc etc as i'm sure the guys will 'chip in' to give their well earned advice and knowledge :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
No use making it go 1 million mph if it cant go round a corner or stop quickly.

Upgrade rear ARB and all drop links, 4 pot callipers and 'racing' discs, tyres.

If it handles and stops better, you'll go faster anyway.

Not that I'd know anything about going fast in an N/A. :shrug:

·
Registered
2003 Forrester S Turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the replies and its nice to have a friendly community. As you can see I am total noob and really at this stage I am happy to have the car. I am just looking at what options are available to me.

I will have a look at the remaps. My tyres are fine probably for another couple of months and I was just interested to see the options available as I have seen so many nice cars on this forum already!!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
No worries. Couple of guys on here are also in Birmingham i think.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I'm not far from you.....

Simon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts