Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,006 Posts
Not sure how I missed this thread. Congrats @twade76 on the newborn !

I'm guessing the Mazda is oil related? If you decide to tear it down, please take pics - Wankels are strange beasts......

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Convenience, CVT
23 Posts
I bought one of the first RX7 in the 80s. I changed the carb to a Holley 4 barrel and realized that the engine has an oil injector that drips oil directly to the float bowl to lubricate the rotor seals through the fuel supply. If you did not use a quart of oil every 5 to 10k kilometres, you were going to blow the seals. Basically a very lean 2 stroke. Not sure what upgrades/changes they made to the Wankel engine since, but I would guess you blew the rotor seals?
You could rev the crap out of that engine and it was a great little sports car. A real pig on gas though.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
333 Posts
Well, it was a lovely 4 weeks but RX8 is buggered already. Anyone want to guess whats happened?
Maybe young Ernest threw a projectile baby puke forward from his baby seat, and it got into the ECU and shorted it???

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Some scumbags stole the cat, cut through the exhaust manifold to get at it!

Insurance isn't looking too good, an OEM cat alone is £1200, so adding a manifold and labour will take that to well over £2k.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Am currently investigating options for buying it back and doign the work myself, changing the manifold doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,963 Posts
Some scumbags stole the cat, cut through the exhaust manifold to get at it!

Insurance isn't looking too good, an OEM cat alone is £1200, so adding a manifold and labour will take that to well over £2k.
Absolute w*****s and unbelievable what some lowlife will do to get some coin. I'm angry as fk for you pal! Gutted especially just after the birth of your son.

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts
That sucks for sure!
Many years ago a guy here was charged with manslaughter because after suffering from many vehicle break-ins he set up some sort of capacitor system in his vehicle that sent a current through the head of a thief - it would've been around early eighties; I don't blame him!

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,489 Posts
Well thats one way of getting a de-cat, was it nicked from out side your house or did you have to drive it back home from somewhere, if you did i bet it was thunderous.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
558 Posts
That is really harsh. They even sliced through the body brace! Tossers. Time to get a sports cat and stainless exhaust. And a big dog chained to the tow points on the car.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
333 Posts
Gutted for you. If theres any justice maybe the scumbags will have an accident with their own angle grinder and chop a few of their own vital bits off.

·
Registered
MY04 FSti MT6
652 Posts
Buggers!! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their a**eholes! BTW, FYI aftermarket cats seem to be a lot cheaper than £1200.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
117 Posts
ffs! some absolute scumbags out there. hope you manage to get it sorted.
had you managed to drive it much beforehand?

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What about the manifold They cut through.
Luckily there are quite a few options for replacement on both, both second hand and after market. I guess that the number of fairly sound cars with dead engines means there's a pretty good second-hand parts market!

ffs! some absolute scumbags out there. hope you manage to get it sorted.
had you managed to drive it much beforehand?
I got out in it a few times but it was mainly for the other-half, we wanted something a little more refined than the celica but I couldn't bring myself to buy a 'normal' car....

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti
55 Posts
Be careful with aftermarket cats, make sure if you do get one that it has all the heat shields with it, when I worked for Mazda we had a few rx8s in after the carpet had caught on fire believe it or not because of aftermarket cats getting hot and not having the shielding that the originals have.

Play it safe and get a decat lol

21 - 40 of 41 Posts