Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First posting here, hope someone has some info.Working on my wife's '16 forester's a/c. Getting an oily yellow drip from the condensate drain tube.Thinking it's compressor oil. A/C has stopped cooling. Pretty sure it's a leaking evaporator. Checking to find in service date to see if still under warranty (under 36k). Anyway, if not I'll be fixing. Looks like evaporator can be accessed from under passenger side dash I'm hoping. Any tips would be appreciated.

This is our first Subaru so not fully familiar with everything. One question I have is that I don't see a receiver/dryer or accumulator anywhere in the a/c system. Never seen one without but this is my first Japanese car. Does it not have one?

Looking forward to being a member here and always willing to help where can.

Thanks in advance. Ernie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took car to dealer to diagnose.They said the evap was leaking and compressor bearings were noisy. They want to replace evap and compressor to the tune of $1900. Called Subaru of America and they offered to pay $750 towards the repair leaving me $1150 to pay. Jeez, i could replace the entire system for half that or less. Looks like I'll be doing the repair myself.

Does anyone know if the evaporator can be replaced without removing the entire dash? It looks like it would slide out on the passenger side after removing glove box, blower motor and computer bracket, but would like someone to verify. Had NO replies to my first posting. Surely someone has some a/c knowledge about these cars. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks EE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts