Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've got a 2010 Forester that's had a slow A/C leak over the last year or 2 that's required me to put in refrigerant every few months. Over the last 2-3 months, I've needed to recharge every week so I decided to buy some of the refrigerant that has the UV dye. After taking the car for a spin around the block on max A/C I popped the hood, grabbed my UV flashlight, and did a thorough search of the engine compartment. I couldn't find a single spot of the UV dye, paying special attention to every connection at the condenser and pump. I jacked the car up and couldn't find a single spot underneath... until I spotted some UV dye on the ground behind me. Looked above the spot and saw the UV dye actively dripping from the condensation drain and splashing off a suspension bushing.

Any idea what could be the problem?

I went to Subaru and asked one of the service advisers who said it's a clogged drain tube and then asked me to make an appointment. Left without making and appointment because I'm not sure I believe that's the issue since I saw the drain actively draining and I've not seen any moisture on the passenger floorboards (as I've seen suggested on this site before).

I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to vehicles, so is this something I even want to tackle on my own?

Thank you in advance,

Jay

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
718 Posts
I'd say the UV test indicates a leak in what the drain tube comes from - the evaporator.
If you don't like the dealer's response, maybe head to an A/C specializing shop - usually more than one in a lot of areas.

Luck.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Automatic
19 Posts
So from your diagnostics. It's not a clogged drain tube because there is no way for the die to get into that area unless it's leaking from the evaporator core. They told you that so that you would bring it in and they could charge you a ton for "looking into it" and then charge well over $1000 to change the evap core. I suggest getting the core from rockauto.com and doing the work yourself if you can. I'm pretty sure you have to remove a good portion of the dash. If not the whole thing. It's a lot of work but it will save you a lot of money. Then you can recharge the system. There's a good video from eric the car guy on YouTube. But read the comments about bleeding the supply line. Just had to do a bunch of ac work myself.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that its a leak at the evaporator coil. The refrigerant is draining off the coil just like condensate would.

I'm a weekend warrior as well and personally dont really mess with A/C systems because of some of the equipment to capture refrigerent and vacuuming out the system. That said, I probably wouldn't take an older car like that to the dealership unless you really trusted them.... by their answer, I would not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts