Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2003 Forester XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I just got my a.c. re-gassed and it blew all the gas a few days later. The mechanic noticed the fan cuts out every now and then and the pressure got too high into the compressor. Anyone had a similar experience and know what the issue could be? Cheers

· Administrator
21,467 Posts
G'day & Welcome @GaffmanSCOOP
I've never heard of an issue like this before are you sure your mechanic knows what he/she is doing?
There may be seals that are shot? Which fan? If the radiator fan then that is normal ;-)
Pls complete your profile:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

· Registered
2003 Forester XT
9 Posts
Yeah the radiator fans, if you rev it quite high they sometimes just stop spinning when the a.c. is on. Wait a little bit and then they clock back on but not as fast. As for the gas/coolant it was splattered uber the top a.c. hose and pooled where the battery is. The mechanic said the compressor likely spat it out of a release valve when the pressure got too high. Seems strange to me

· Registered
2000 Forester S 4EAT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT
359 Posts
@GaffmanSCOOP I believe it is normal for the fans to kick off and on when the a/c is on and when you accelerate. Also the a/c pressure can increase or decrease depending on how hot it is outside or when you are accelerating. So for example if you use r134a Freon where you are like we do in the states, if the outside temp is 60 degrees and you have 50 psi in your a/c system the 50 psi can increase on it's own as the outside temp increases to 70 degrees and so on.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,516 Posts
If you lose all of your refrigerant, you obviously have a leak.
A pressure relief valve shouldn't release everything, and if the system is generating excessive pressure, (is it?) there might be a blockage causing it.
It sounds like you need a second opinion, as the "mechanic" you went to doesn't seem to excel in diagnostic capabilities...
Good Luck.

· Registered
2003 Forester XT
9 Posts
Cheers @DragonSubie7
I think there could be a blockage causing the pressure to get quite high. There is still some coolant/refrigerant in the system but the bubble check is showing a heap of bubbles so it's definitely low now, having only just been re-gassed. The mechanic didn't seem to be able to locate a leak, but I'll be sure to get a second opinion on it. @Kevin thanks for all the tips, you too @greengoblin68

1 - 7 of 7 Posts