Discussion Starter #1
Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a 2018 Forester Limited.
My number one complaint is as follows:

Its cold out.
I turn the middle button labeled A/C to the right to turn the fan on
The monitor says 71 Auto
heat blows out the vents - terrific
then at some point, I feel cold air blowing, I look, sure enough the A/C has turned on and the A/C light is now on.
I quickly shut it off, the Auto indicator on the monitor goes off and I am all set for the rest of the drive.
But - it cannot be good for the A/C to be turning on for the 60 seconds it takes me to realize it has turned on, and then abruptly shut off.

How do I turn on the heat without the A/C turning on?
Would someone please help me?

Thank you,
Herman

·
Registered
2008 forester XT 4EAT
184 Posts
Don't push the A/C button, just turn on the vent on the wanted temp without the A/C button been pushed.

Sent from...somewhere

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
Anytime you select defrost or the defrost/heat split, the AC will come on, down to about freezing.
Below freezing, the AC compressor will not run.
Even if you try to turn off the AC when using defrost, you can't.

If you need straight heat, set the HVAC system to manual operation by pressing the mode button.
Then the AC will not come on unless you select the defrost/heat mode or manually press the defrost button.

Read your owner's manual.
It's all in there.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,634 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2018 Limited. If the HVAC system has been off, I have yet to figure out how to just turn just the fan on without the A/C immediately coming on.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,242 Posts
Ah, the wonders of technology... which is why I don't want automatic everything in my car... It's a freekin' pain in the posterior..
Cold.. Turn on heat... Hot.. turn on AC.. Need to figure out how to disable /enable a PITA "convenience feature" - Not installed.
So who's really inconvenienced here....

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
The system is smarter than the average consumer. It monitors the humidity and temp and chooses the appropriate settings. This should only happen on the Full auto setting. Took me a few times reading the manual to understand how the system works.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
The systems is smarter than the average consumer. It monitors the humidity and temp and chooses the appropriate settings. This should only happen on the Full auto setting. Took me a few times reading the manual to understand how the system works.
This. Put in in auto and forget it. I am not one that likes all "auto" features but you nailed it. Trust the system.

The other thing is buy the warranty and don't worry about what is good or bad for the car.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2018 Limited. If the HVAC system has been off, I have yet to figure out how to just turn just the fan on without the A/C immediately coming on.
Press the mode button until its icon shows you either heat (floor arrows), vent (dashboard arrows), or both heat and vent combined.
If the icon shows defrost or floor/defrost, then the AC will come on automatically.

Once the icon shows heat or vent or heat/vent split, then turn the centre dial to the right.
That turns on the fan, with no A/C.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,634 Posts
That is the way it should work but not on my 2018 Limited. I just did a test with "Full" Auto turned off. Before turning the system off I set the desired temperature to 85 degrees with an outside temp of 71. With the system off I set the mode dial to heat (floor arrow). When I turned the center dial (fan speed) on, the AC light came on even though the outside air temp (71) was 14 degrees cooler than my temperature setting (85).

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Touring CVT
1,203 Posts
I keep mine in manual mode with fan on lowest setting. Can move the temp dial from low to high and high to low -- no A/C.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
63 Posts
I keep mine in manual mode with fan on lowest setting. Can move the temp dial from low to high and high to low -- no A/C.
This has basically been my solution. Every time I turn it off, when I turn it back on (regardless of temperature or zone setting), the A/C kicks on. Keeping it on the lowest fan setting and just blowing at my feet when I don't want it is how I've worked around the "automation".

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Here's a good reason "Not to"... Why not trust the computer?

:grin2:
Well the consequences here are not as bad..lol

I found that by keeping it in auto I just vary the temp..that in turn varies the fan speed. ..if necessary. but other than that 75 degree setpoint works summer fall winter. Apparently subaru is smarter than me.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,242 Posts
@adc... "Apparently subaru is smarter than me..."
Interestingly, the autopilot was thinking (in truth there is no thought.. it was the system developer) it knew more than the pilots when it decided to ignore everything they did to get the plane in the air rather than land in a forest.
That's the problem with "trusting" a computer.
You are at the mercy of literally millions of tenuous connections and sensors which can go bad and cause unintended consequences.
You system is also only as good (or as bad) as the software designer who is proactively addressing issues you didn't even know you had, so when you want a system to do what you want it to do, you have to figure out how the system wants to address your issue.
That's why I prefer to let the computer be my brain - I KNOW what I want it to do. Manual systems are also much easier to diagnose, and tend to have far fewer failure points.
Temperature control in your car is not so serious, but as more automation takes over driver control, it is inevitable that somewhere, sometime, a car will decide to drive into a forest rather than stay on the road..

I had a long career developing software, and I can tell you from personal experience that computers can also do weird things.
As cosmic ray changing the state of a connection and a system crash happens... In a vehicle, that failure may be more serious than a reboot.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
You worry too much dragon. Works great for me. With all due respect you don't have a 2018 :)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring SBM Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
262 Posts
Keep in mind that the A/C compressor needs to run the refrigerant/lubricant periodically throughout the winter time so that the seals in the system don't leak and the compressor stays lubricated.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Keep in mind that the A/C compressor needs to run the refrigerant/lubricant periodically throughout the winter time so that the seals in the system don't leak and the compressor stays lubricated.
This

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,242 Posts
You worry too much dragon. Works great for me. With all due respect you don't have a 2018 :)
Thanks for your concern, but I don't worry at all...
My car does just what I tell it to, when I tell it to do it, and without arguments or the need to wade through a plethora of documentation...
Simple is better, IMHO.
Especially when it comes to Subaru's somewhat recent penchant for finicky weird non-intuitive automated systems that seem to generate a lot more complaints than praise.
Like you said, I don't have an '18, nor would I want one.
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Cool. I had an 08 and when I got my 18 turbo, I thought I died and went to heaven. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,242 Posts
@ADC, I'm glad you like your car.
I'm guessing that you might not be as happy with a '19 since Foz turbos became extinct.
You are apparently one of those that enjoys automation where it isn't (IMHO) needed.
Obviously I don't. I'm have been noting my disappointment with current gen Foz and having fun with the topic.
BTW - You should update your vehicle in profile (or do you prefer to be associated with the '08?)

To the OP - Sorry for the sidetrack, but in that regard, there are actually good reasons for the AC coming on when it's cold.
To keep the compressor in good shape as @Maru noted above.
The AC also does a good job of dehumidification, so on many (most?) cars it is engaged when defrost is turned on, or in the automated world of Subaru - when sensors of environmental conditions meet specified programming criteria causing the compressor to be engaged by the computerized environmental control system whether you expect it to, or want it to, or not.

Back in software development, unintended consequences were typically referred to as "features"... which is a likely explanation you will get if you complain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts