Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's Auto trans Cabrio has been slow shifting (slow to engage once shifted to D, shifts at higher RPMs) over the past few months and as of last night will only move forward. No response to R. Tried to put it in N and push it out of the drive but it acted like it was in park. E Brake was not engaged. Had to put the front wheels on dollies to get it out of the way last night.
Control module? Fried tranny? Seems like the linkage is intact but the tranny isn't.
He's driving my Forester and I'm praying it won't rain because I'm left with my motorcycle.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
I'd say the transmission is toast. If it won't roll in neutral, than there is something major wrong with the inner workings.

Did you try shifting from Drive to Neural, or straight from Park to Neutral? I only ask as if shifted straight from park, maybe the parking paw in the transmission isn't being released until it gets past neutral and into drive??

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Time for your friendly local vw shop. :icon_sad:
the nice thing is that Mk3 parts are plentiful and cheap..

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tried shifting from everything to everything, no go. Found an engine/trans for 1800 locally. I think he paid 900...
On a good note he's looking at a 97 Outback Limited. That'll make us a 3 Suby family

1 - 5 of 5 Posts