Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
`lots of miles has new transmission, needs some work, but good transportation`

Only asking $2,700 for it but odometer shows 188k and has stopped working for the last few months . Original owner but been a little abused . Mismatched tires and the check engine light and abs light is on . Air conditioning works great . What could be the cause for these problems with the odometer and the lights on and do you think its a good price . Thanks for any help :icon_biggrin:
Also transmission is from an totaled one that had 100k miles on it so i guess its not rebuilt or new .

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
First Welcome, second pass on this one.

Not too easy to provide answers other than abuse and neglect probably caused most of the issues you listed, and no one can predict the cost to repair, without know the fault codes from the Check Engine Light. You didn't say what type of transmission the vehicle is equipped with but if it's an automatic, mismatched tires could spell impending doom for the front differential.

What I do suggest is to fill out a little more of your profile to at least indicate your location. You can use the pull-down menu in Quick Links and Edit Profile. That will help others in your area comment on regional pricing, or offer suggestions on where to search. Also if can also provide some idea of a budget your wiling to spend. And finally are you willing to travel to get the best car? Many here have done the above and found just the right Forester for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great reply thanks . Looking in West North Carolina and really like the idea of having a Forester for my son which would be his first car . It probably would make sense to buy one in better condition for a little more .

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
With that laundry list of potential issues I'd select another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does this one sound? Not quite a Forester but pretty close I think .

I am listing this car for sale for my brother. He joined the Air Force and no longer needs the car and asked for it to be up for sale.
-It is a 98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5L
-AWD
-all power
-cd player with nice OEM stereo system
-newer tires that are less than a year old
-the car is green in color with charcoal interior.
-great running car
-absolutely great running engine and tranny.
-very good gas mileage

The car has a few minor problems.
-It does need a drivers side wheel bearing. I had it priced and it costs about $130, parts and labor included in the price.
-cracked windshield that does not leak
-small dent in the rear drivers side quarter panel.

This car blue books a $4k in good condition.
Where it needs a few things, I have it priced at $3250 obo.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
How does this one sound? Not quite a Forester but pretty close I think .
I would get a lower price, the '98 2.5 engine has the worse issues with HGs.
-He is lying about the quote for the wheel bearing, you are looking at 300+$
-Windshield prolly another 250$
-be wary of ppl selling things for "other" ppl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts